Question: FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone)

TK - Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:02 pm

I'm a 24 year old female and recently saw my gynecologist. She said that there's a normal ratio of 2:1 for the hormone FSH with another hormone (i forget the name of that hormone at the moment) but i was wondering if you knew what the medical problems would be if the ratio is not even?..for instance if i'm producing too much of the one hormone and the ratio is like 3:1. She said that I might have problems getting pregnant...but i'm wondering if there's anything else I should know. My menstruation is not consistant and I have it for about 7-9 days, with heavy bleeding, extreme cramps and bloating. Any help would be great.[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 2:23 pm

User avatar I suspect the other hormone in the ratio was LH. There are a few conditions that can cause the balance to be off.

Most notably, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. However, in this condition, the LH is higher than the FSH, rather than an elevation in FSH as in your case.

When the FSH to LH ratio causes an increased FSH level it is an indication that the ovaries are struggling to produce enough estrogen. Often, an FSH:LH ratio of greater than 2.5 is an indication of possible ovarian trouble.

This may be why your gynecologist as suggested that you may have trouble getting pregnant. One of the causes of an elevated FSH is decreased production of eggs (through a complex mechanism). This is by no means a guarantee, however, and there are treatments that may be able to augment fertility if needed.

Your gynecologist may be able to do more testing to find the cause of your FSH elevation.

|