Question: No menses but pregnancy symptoms

Triceratops - Wed May 02, 2007 11:43 am

I'm a 34 year-old Chinese. I had my first child in 2002.

My last menses was on 7 March. I started menstruating at 12 years old and had since been on 28-day cycle. I had done 3 home pregnancy tests and 2 clinical PT but all the results were negative. The latest home PT was done today.

I had visited my GP and he told me to wait and see. However, as days go by, I am getting more worried that other illness may prevail, or worse, being pregnant without getting proper nutrition.

PREGNANCY SYMPTOMS:
This paragraphy describes symptoms which I experience in my first pregnancy. (1) I did not experience any morning sickness. (3) my hair scalp becomes more itchy than usual. (3) I would feel hungry easily but I don't have an enormous appetite. (4) Some dizziness spells which don't last long - could be due to the fact that I am a Thalassemia minor.

OTHER SYMPTOMS
There is no physical weight change when I stand on the weighing machine, however, I notice that my abdomen is getting bigger and tighter and sometimes a little bloated. Also, I feel lethargic easily.

In Oct 2005, I was admitted to A&E for a sprained lower back. Last month, I was also admitted to A&E for the same problem.

Last week, I had loose (and sometimes watery) stools for a week. Recently, I notice that I would wake up with hands that feel cold in the morning. There is no extreme mood swings or change in behaviour except that I get a little uptight at times and that affects my breathing.

In March 2005 I removed my gallbladder due to the presence of gallstones. In Dec 2005, I had breast abscess and went through the various tests - ultrasound, biopsy and mammogram but eventually the abscess was removed by the oral intake of antibiotics.

I recently quitted my job as an insurance agent to becoming a full-time private home tutor - a job which I had practised since I was young. Apart from the job change, I can't think of any incidents that can or may cause stress.

I don't smoke nor drink.

Questions
(1) Can I visit my OB for an ultrasound to test whether I am pregnant? If yes, at which month should I visit the OB?
(2) Do I sound like I have thyroid or hypothyroidism?
(3) What factors could affect the estrogen level found in PT?
(4) I really would like to conceive again and would want to eliminate any factors that may impair the chances of conception. Do you have any suggestions?

Would really appreciate if someone could address my concerns. Thank you very much!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:11 pm

User avatar Most urine pregnancy tests are quite accurate once it has been 5 weeks past the start of your last period. Rarely, there may still not be enough hormone in the urine to detect pregnancy.

A blood test can be done that is much more sensitive and usually can detect pregnancy 3 weeks after the last period. Typically an ultrasound will be able to see a beating heart during the 5-6th week (usually) if an endovaginal probe is used and during the 8-10th week if an abdominal ultrasound probe is used.

Your symptoms may be related to the thyroid but are not classic for this.

If you still do not have your menses in the next week I would recommend that you see your obstetrician for an evaluation. The urine and blood tests look for a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (HCg). As such, fluctuating estrogen levels should not affect a pregnancy test; however, if estrogen levels are fluctuating for some reason this could affect menses.

Regarding your chances of becoming pregnant, the best thing for you to do is stay healthy. I would recommend taking a prenatal vitamin during the time you are trying to conceive as well as during pregnancy. Exercise is important also.

|