Question: Question about Nuvaring

Tulipanka - Wed May 02, 2007 3:12 pm

Hello,I'm 35 years old and I hope to get some answer over here.
Recently I started tu use Nuvaring as a contraception.
10 and 3 monts ago I did get tested for a cervical cancer and the results were Pap 3a.No drug were given to me.In a couple of monts I will visit my gynecologist again.Now,I wonder if using the Nuvaring make a risk bigger to get cervical cancer...
Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:16 pm

User avatar This is an area of ongoing research. In theory, the effects on cancer with the ring should be about the same as the pill since the hormonal dosing is about the same. There is possibly a slight increase in the risk of cervical cancer with the ring (and oral pills) but the data is not conclusive. It may still be that the increased risk being seen is actually due to other factors that have not fully been studied.

The important thing is to follow up with your doctor and continue to get regular pap smears.

|