News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Pls reply...Missed menses = premature menopause or thyroid?

Triceratops - Mon May 07, 2007 11:07 am

Hi,

I would like to seek second opinion. I have missed my menses for two months. I have also done several pregnancy tests at different intervals but all the results were negative. However, it appears that I am experiencing some pregnancy symptoms (like the stomach feeling a little bloated, some dizziness and I get very sleepy at night). I have also been told by my doctor to wait and see.

I just want to know if I am getting a premature menopause (I am only 34 years old this year) or have I developed thyroid? Or could I be pregnant with the foetus developing outside my womb?

Would greatly appreciate if someone could reply because I am really anxious now!

Thanks a zillion in advance!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 07, 2007 3:51 pm

User avatar Menopause or thyroid issues could certainly account for your symptoms. Pregnancy is also a possibility. An ectopic pregnancy is less likely but some women seem to have lower amounts of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in the urine. hCG is the hormone produced by the placenta that is tested for with urine pregnancy tests.

It's pretty rare but some women don't have a postiive urine test for 8-10 weeks. A serum pregnancy test is much more sensitive. If there is concern for pregnancy a serum test can be done as well as an ultrasound to look for an intrauterine or extrauterine pregnancy.

Testing the thyroid is quite easy. A TSH and T4 level can be drawn from the blood to assess this. Menopause can be tested for by checking FSH and estrogen levels.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here