Question: Vaginal prolapse - Types of test can be done to determine it

darkestdays30 - Wed May 09, 2007 4:25 am

I think my bowels & bladder are prolapsed. What types of testing can be done to determine this other than physical exam or cystoscopy? I don't have a urologist or GYN (both of them moved out of state) so I was wanting to see if there was a specific imaging test that would detect this. Thank you.

Had hysterectomy with grade 2 cystocele repair (sling repair) over a yr ago. Symptoms: frequent urination, incontinence, pressure in vagina, pain/cramping in low abdomen, low back pain, feeling like something is coming out of me a little (anus location) during bowel movements (more noticeable if I go more than once), severe constipation (go 7-10 days without having a bowel movement), occassional rectal bleeding (cause undetermined on colonoscopy), sometimes have pain with bowel movements & burning (but I do not have hemmorroids), cramping in lower abdomen before bowel movements, & nausea
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 pm

User avatar Diagnosis of rectal or vaginal prolapse is generally made by physical examination.

Having a hysterectomy places you at increased risk for vaginal prolapse.

I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation.

darkestdays30 - Thu May 10, 2007 5:40 pm

I went to the doctor today. She did not do a pelvic exam, blamed it on cystitis & sent me home w) an antibiotic. I even started crying, didn't help. About 2 1/2 wks ago, I had a cystoscopy and the laxative prep made my urinary tract bleed (very visible blood) for a week. Now my bladder is about ready to come out of me. Even though she didn't do a pelvic exam, I know it is about ready to come out of me.. I am going into EXTREME PAIN in my left side & pelvic area. Would this be normal with a severe cystocele? I called around all day & couldn't find a gyn who does bladder repair & takes my insurance too. Would a hospital treat this condition if surgery is needed?
 darkestdays30 - Thu May 10, 2007 8:17 pm

I check my urine w) test strips & had a large amount of blood show up & specific gravity was 1.035 (isn't that too high after drinking liquids all day)? Will a cystocele make you bleed or would it be more likely that my bladder is injured from where it was bleeding from the laxative prep. My urination is also decreasing. This is really scaring me. Could this condition be dangerous?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 11, 2007 1:35 am

User avatar I recommend you contact your doctor to discuss your symptoms. I suspect that you should be reevaluated to make sure nothing serious is going on and to get a treatment to help your pain.

darkestdays30 - Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 am

I ended up calling 911 & went to the hospital but it turned out to be kidney stones causing the pain & bleeding. My bladder is going to be checked out next week. I thought it ruptured, couldn't walk without the pain getting worse, but I'm not so worried now that I know it's kidney stones. Thanks for helping.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun May 13, 2007 9:26 pm

User avatar Unfortunately, you have joined the ranks of those that have found out how painful kidney stones can be. The pain can be unbearable. You are certainly not the first person to call 911 because of it.

In general, staying very well hydrated will help kidney stones. Also, the stone itself can be evaluated to see what type of stone you have. Some types can be treated with various medications.

darkestdays30 - Thu May 17, 2007 12:00 pm

I also found out that I have grade 3 cystocele of my bladder and bleeding from my upper GI tract. I haven't been evaluated for rectal prolapse yet.
 darkestdays30 - Wed May 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Do you know any reasons why diarrhea would cause bleeding from your urinary tract? This is the 2nd time it happened.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 23, 2007 9:08 pm

User avatar Diarrhea should not cause bleeding from your urinary tract in general. A few possible reasons this might be the case are: 1) there is an abnormal connection between the bladder and the bowel (called a fistula) or 2) there is some inflammation of the bowel that is irritating the bladder causing it to become inflamed and bleed.

In either case, I would recommend this be evaluated.

darkestdays30 - Wed May 23, 2007 11:47 pm

I have IC & my bladder hemmoraged when it would get full during the cystoscopy's I used to have done when they would instill solution into my bladder but it was just mild bleeding.

Is Amitiza or laxatives eliminated through the urine? If it is, could it stimulate my bladder as it does with the bowels causing a problem where my bladder has chronic inflammation?

I don't have anything wrong with my bowels (no inflammation), I recently had a colonoscopy & it was fine. And I don't have the symptoms of a fistula.

The first time this happened, I was using a laxative prep prior to a colonoscopy (last mth), I had a good 50 bowel movements from that stuff (all watery). And ended up with blood pouring out of me like if I was having a period. This lasted about a week where I could see it. Then I had a urinalysis a few days later. Alot of blood, small trace of WBC, but the culture showed no infection.

Within 2 weeks, I started having pelvic pain & it felt like my bladder was going to come out of me. It's not coming out but is prolapsed down in my vagina. The next day, same thing. Except later in the evening I developed left flank pain also & was diagnosed with 2 kidney stones. I had another urinalysis that day & it showed a large amount of blood & trace of WBC but still no infection on the culture.

About 10:30 last night, I took an Amitiza my doctor started me on yesterday & woke up with explosive diarrhea, had 12 bowel movements & on the 4th one, started bleeding from my urine, & my bladder is hurting really bad. My doctor did another urinalysis today and it was mostly blood that came out of me, he said I had WBC's too, and I was injected with an antibiotic and sent home with a prescription for one. When I got home, I checked my urine, and it just showed a trace of WBC. I believe he just told me that to get me to take the injection as he really thought I had an infection but I would bet a million dollars a culture would turn out perfectly normal.

But I do not feel any better. I have not been burning either and do not think I have an UTI. This blood appeared both times by taking a stimulant for my bowels.
 darkestdays30 - Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 pm

I went back to my urologist today. He did an x-ray that showed one of the stones was down in the uterer close to my bladder & thinks that causing my problems. He is planning to surgically remove them. But I was hoping I could pass them & got a pint of bear & drank it along with several glasses of water. My urine is coming out completely white. Is that normal or have I hurt my kidneys? The stones were partially blocking my urine but now whatever I drink goes straight through. I'm too embarrased to call the doctor & ask if this is normal.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 25, 2007 4:53 pm

User avatar The truth is, urine should be very pale, almost clear, if you are well-hydrated. The darker yellow color is concentrated so if you are talking "clear" as opposed to "white" then, this is fine. But, if you mean "white" as in "cloudy" you should report it to your doctor. I'm glad you are getting the medical help you need.
 darkestdays30 - Fri May 25, 2007 6:51 pm

I meant clear white (specific gravity was 1000). Water was going through me as fast as I could drink it. The beer helped the retention and even the bleeding improved last night but I didn't pass the stones and my kidneys & bladder hurt extremely bad from doing that. I've had a 100 people tell me that would help me pass my stones. Today I'm having hesitancy on top of retention. I haven't been feeling too good since but I am sure my kidneys are fine. I sure wouldn't recommend that to anyone. I've been having some serious panic attacks since this started happening. I started crying over it at the doctor's office yesterday & didn't think I'd ever stop. I appologize for all of the questions and apprieciate all of the help. My stones are being removed Thursday and I think I'm actually going to live through this, though it doesn't feel that way sometimes. LOL. Thanks alot.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 28, 2007 10:44 pm

User avatar Kidney stones can be a set up for urine infections as well. If you continue to have the frequency and urgency or develop any burning with urination you should see your doctor for a urine analysis to look for a UTI.

darkestdays30 - Tue May 29, 2007 7:54 am

Can you have a UTI with a negative culture. 3 doctors said I had it. And my urologist said I didn't. A large amount of blood & a trace of WBC may indicate infection but doesn't mean you have it does it, without a postive culture? I ended up in the hospital again. He said the antibiotic wasn't working & put me on another. Which I can't take cause it gave me a yeast infection.
 darkestdays30 - Tue May 29, 2007 3:37 pm

I picked up my records at the hospital from the ER the other day and the only infection I had was a yeast infection. But the CT showed moderate hydronephrosis on one side & distention of my ureter on the other. It also said I had a few sigmoid diverticuli. I don't have any idea what that means except knowing it is something to do with the GI tract. I have had blood in my bowels and vomiting blood. Could that have something to do with why?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 30, 2007 5:02 pm

User avatar With three negative cultures (I presume all done while symptomatic) it is very likely that you do not have a bacterial infection. However, there are a number of viruses that can cause UTI symptoms as well. The red blood cells in the urine may very well be due to the kidney stone.

The CT results with the dilated ureter and hydronephrosis may be due to increased pressure from the stone blocking the ureters. After the stones have passed, if these symptoms do not resolve you may need further imaging such as a voiding cystourethrogram (where they fill the bladder with dye and watch to see if it goes backwards up into the ureters/kidneys-which it should not).

The diverticuli are most likely incidental findings. It is common to have a few diverticuli. Often they don't cause any trouble although from time to time they can become infected in some patients.

darkestdays30 - Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:11 am

I have actually felt the urine going from my bladder back up into my kidneys on the left side where I have the hydronephrosis. I didn't tell my doctor because I didn't really think he'd believe me.

I think I may have a fistula like you said before. I had a severe attack of pain for about an hour. I had a bowel movement & it all didn't come out & my left side about killed me until it did. I screemed & cried the entire time (about the worst pain you could imagine). I don't think the stent is the only thing hurting me. Is this a typical symptom of diverticuli or a fistula? I also had extreme pain from peeing all day up until after this bowel movement was over with. Now it's not hurting me. That is really weird.
 darkestdays30 - Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:51 pm

The pain came back & I got this constant urge to need to have a bowel movement. I was constipated really bad while I had that stent in me. The reason for the pain was because the stent caused inflammation in my kidney & bladder. The doctor decided to take it out after I cried about it but my pain actually got worse, until I took 4 pain pills a little while ago. They said I should be alot better by tomorrow. I think it inflammed my bowels too (not that I was told that) but I had a little bit of blood in them and I think the antibiotic gave me a yeast infection. I had it in my bladder the begin with from another antibiotic I took & was treated for it. But I have yellow thick discharge coming out from my rectum & in the toilet it is snow white. Could that be yeast? Will inflammation clear up on it's own? I sure don't want to end up with chronic inflammation in my kidney.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:59 pm

User avatar It is possible that your symptoms are due to yeast. However, a yeast infection of the GI tract is much less common than a yeast infection of the female tract.

You may want to see a GI specialist to possibly have a colonoscopy done to look for any evidence of a fistula or other problem related to inflammation.

If your kidney and ureter was inflamed and sitting on top of the bowel the bowel may have become inflamed just from irritation also.

I would recommend you follow up with a urologist as well as the GI specialist to see if they can come up with a reason for your prolonged symptoms.

Best wishes. I do hope you are able to feel better soon.
 darkestdays30 - Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:52 am

The hospital confirmed the inflammation before the stent was removed so I am going to pick up the papers & go to my family doctor today and ask him to either admit me in the hospital for pain control relief until I get better or see if he can give me any medications that might help. But this pain is going to get resolved one way or the other. I really can't deal with it anymore.

Thanks for the advice. It's relieving when your that stressed out to get such help. When I get my medical certification, I'll have to volunteer here myself.

|