Question: I'd like to induce my menstrual

mizfrustrated - Sat May 12, 2007 8:26 am

I am 21 and I am currently in a Military relationship. I typically get my menstruals at the end of the month but 5 months ago I had a Biopsy and a coloscopy, since then I have been getting my cycle at the beginning of the month. I am on a birth control pill. I have yet to get my cycle with the beginning of the month as I have been for the last 5 months. I have a trip at the end of the month to see my fiancee and I'd love to not have my menstrual, I've considered inducing it but I don't know how. Any suggestions? I'd like to naturally induce it rather than having to take a medication. Thanks for the help.

~Amanda Jane
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 14, 2007 5:33 pm

User avatar It is possible for you to miss a menstrual period or otherwise manipulate it using birth control pills. Some of them are actually designed to give you only 4 periods a year. It is considered completely safe - there is no medical reason you must have a period - ever for that matter - but it would make it complicated in planning pregnancy and estimating conception. However with the ultrasound techniques available now, there are other ways to deal with this issue as well.

If you do not take any break at the end of the active pills, and just begin the next package (if you have "sugar" or iron pills in your pack, ignore these) you will be able to delay your period to a more convenient time. You can delay for whatever period of time you want - you don't have to take the whole month worth of pills just because you began the package (you can just delay a week or two if you like).

Another option is to get a prescription for one such as Seasonale which is designed to be taken for three months without a break. You can discuss this option with your doctor who knows what type pill you have and can advise you if a different prescription is better for this.

I don't know of any other way to "induce" your period naturally.

|