News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Missed Period, Negative Pregnancy Test, Lower Abdominal Pain

Emmas - Thu May 17, 2007 5:59 pm

I am a 34 year old woman with one child (aged 9). The first day of my last period was 27th March, I have had only one instance of unpotected intercourse since then. I usally have a regular 30 day cycle. Over the past two weeks I have been experiencing pregnancy like sypmtoms (lower abdominal pain, nausea, metallic taste in my mouth and exhaustion). I went to my doctor and explained my suspicions and he ordered a blood test which has come back negative.

However with my first pregnancy I didnt suspect at all. A urine test done at 8+ weeks came back negative that time and the pregnancy was not picked up until 15 weeks.

I'm now confused and concerned, should I trust my body in view of my past history despite the result? Or should I go with the result, in which case I'm worried about what these symptoms are if not pregnancy. The abdominal pain feel like very early period pains, although not as intense (I take prescribed medications for severe period pain) and have been happening daily for the past 2 weeks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 3:07 pm

User avatar There is a small subset of women that, for reasons I do not know, do not seem to have positive urine home pregnancy tests until later in their pregnancy. The blood test is usually very sensitive and less likely to miss a pregnancy.

If you continue to have pregnancy-like symptoms continue I would recommend you follow up with your doctor for a repeat blood test.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here