Question: Was on Birth Control Missed Period

Jasmine0808 - Thu May 17, 2007 9:33 pm

I'm a 23 year old female and have been taking ortho tri cyclen. I haven't been taking them at the same time everyday. A couple weeks ago I missed two days so I followed the instructions and took two that same day. A couple days later I got what I thought was my period, which was more than a week early since I had not started my blank pills. Even though I was bleeding I decided to finish the pack. The bleeding lasted about 3 days, and seemed heavier than my normal periods.

It has been 8 days and I still have not gotten my period. I have not started a new pack, because I still need to fill my prescription. In the last week I have noticed on two occasions a liquid discharge. I have been with the same partner for 7 years and we only use protection if I miss taking my pills. Since the odd early period we have been using a condom. Should I be concerned that I could be pregnant?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 1:26 pm

User avatar Pregnancy is possible although probably less likely. I would recommend that you take a pregnancy test during the 5th week after your last period (before the few days) or 3 weeks after your last unprotected intercourse (which ever is later). If negative and there is still suspicion I would recommend repeating it in one week.

I suspect that the more likely scenario is that when you missed the few days of pills, your body's hormones took over again and the bleeding that you experienced was your uterine lining shedding from progesterone withdrawal during the two days. (Based on your description I am assuming that you were in the second half of your pill pack.) Susequently, upon taking the week of placebo pills, your body's estrogen began rebuilding the lining of your uterus causing you not to bleed during the placebo pills.

I would advise you to continue using a back up method until you have completed your next pill pack as you are very likely to ovulate during this cycle if my hypothesis is correct.

Best wishes. I hope this makes at least a little sense.
 Jasmine0808 - Fri May 18, 2007 11:30 pm

Thanks for your quick response. Your hypothesis makes sense. I took a test today, and it was negative. I have a pretty good feeling that I’m probably not pregnant. I just got a little worried when it was day 8 and my period still had not come. Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

|