News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Lab says normal but clearly not

mimiy2k - Fri May 18, 2007 6:06 pm

I am a 57 year old, post-menopausal female. No kids or pregancies. No abnormal Paps. No abnormal vaginal discharges in last 30 years until now.

I got a bladder infection (first in 30 years also), 6 months ago. Internist thought it was caused by a lot of diarhea due to having ingested contaminated Iced Tea from restaurant (found to be LOADED with fecal matter, ecoli, klebsiella pneumoniae, etc.).

Gave me a prescription that i took all of even though I was not aware of any symptoms. Almost immediately thereafter, i started to get a light tea colored watery discharge staining my panties and felt like my vagina was constantly dripping. It had an odor but i wouldn't say "fishy". I had to start wearing pantliners all the time.

Sometimes after trying, the stain looks greenish.

I used Monistat. No change.

Saw PA at my Doc's office. She did a PAP and lab smear and said she thought it was BV, She prescribed 10 days of Diflucan which i took all of. The odor seemed to go away at end of this course of treatment but discharge has remained. However, my lab report came back as "normal flora and fauna" (taken before my course of treatment) which has got to be wrong.

I am now on Month 6 of persistent discharge. Also, when the PA did the PAP Test, it felt like dry skin being pinched bad. I have never had a PAP hurt like this. When I have intercousre with my husband (we are mongamous) we always use coindoms to protect me from his Hep C) -- it hursts same way. Feels like someone is pinching me between their fingernails inside...stingy/raw.

Obviously, despite the normal PAP and normal lab result ("normal flora and fauna) something is going on. I went back to Doc but because of the lab report and 10 days of Diglucan, he did not want to give me anything else.

I am miserable and have quit having sex with my husband due to the discharge and pinching-pain inside vagina when we do.

What could this be? What should I do? Could the iced tea loaded with the millions of fecal matter, ecoli and klebsiella pneumoniae directly or indirectly caused this?

My only abnormalities in the vaginal area were 35+ years ago when I was treated for vaginal warts successfully with cryosurgery 9never a reoccurence) and once for Trichomoniasis.

For 30+ years, i have been very healthy down there.

Can you help?

I am on lots of Meds for Diabetes: Metformin, Byeta, Avandia, Atenolol for BP, and a cholestral med. Had a 100% clear colonoscopy 18 months ago.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 7:37 pm

User avatar Diflucan does not treat bacterial vaginosis. It is an antifungal medication. Generally, the treatment for BV is metronidazole.

I recommend you follow up with your doctor. BV is diagnosed by seeing an excess of bacteria on the epithelial cells causing what are known as clue cells.

Depending on the lab, they may just set up a culture for bacteria and fungus but not actually look at the cells under a microscope.

Best wishes.
 mimiy2k - Sat May 19, 2007 3:33 pm

Thank you for answering! I am sure there are very good PAs out there but it is very frustrating that I cannot see the doctor himself (I am new to this area and this has been the case with my Internist and Family Practice practices). It is disconcerting that I took Diflucan for all those days for notjhing (and I'm sure you're right).

My follow-up questions are:

1. Does the description of the discharge (which followed Diarhea) sound like BV? (Watery discharge, leaves ice tea colored, yelowish or sometimes greenish stain on panty-liner).

2. Would this account for the pinching/raw feeling inside my Vagina during intercourse and the Pap Smear?

3. Could the ingestion of the contaminated ice tea (confirmed by lab as being loaded with fecal matter, ecoli and Klebsiela Pneumoniae) have caused this:

A. by drinking the tea?

B. due to the massive Diarhea the tea contamination caused. (ecoli was found in my Urine Speciman and the Doctor felt this was what caused the Bladder Infection I was diagnosed with right afterwards. This preceded the BV symptoms).

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES!!!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here