Question: No Period

ashleytatken - Wed May 30, 2007 3:40 pm

I am a 22 year old female. I just had a baby in December. At my 6 week check up my doctor put me on the pill. I had to periods in one month so I quit taking the pill. Now I haven't had a period since . I am breastfeeding. I have taken 7 pregnancy tests and all are negative.
 rivergirl85 - Wed May 30, 2007 10:03 pm

I am no doctor, but i am a 22 year old mom. My daughter is about to be 7 months old on the 8th of next month. My OBGYN told me that the birth control she put me on would not cause me to have a period because i was breastfeeding. She also stated that if i were to not take the birth control that i would most likely not have a period because breastfeeding is supposed to cause the ovaries not to release eggs or something like that. I would still wait for one of the doctors or nurses to reply. but i hope i gave you some peace of mind. And happy mothering! :)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 31, 2007 12:28 pm

User avatar Breastfeeding itself does often suppress ovulation and many women are able to enjoy at least six months to a year without having periods if they breastfeed exclusively. Other women get periods even though they are nursing. Because you can ovulate it is important to use contraception in addition to the breastfeeding however.

|