Question: 3 months and no period

rivergirl85 - Thu May 31, 2007 12:03 am

I am a 22 year old mom. I had my baby in november. She will be 7 months old on the 8th. I stopped breastfeeding her when she was a little over 3 months old because i got sick and was taking medicine that would harm her if breastfed. I was taking birth control up to that point that my OBGYN told me would not cause me to have a period. After i stopped takin the pill about 3 and a half months ago i spotted for a few days and that was it. My last full period was February of 2006. I have taken numerous pregnancy tests and all came up negative. I am not scheduled for my yearly exam until August. Should i go ahead and start taking the birth control even though i haven't gotten my period? (the health department said to take it only when i start my period) Or is something wrong with me? I am not currently on any medications and I have no history of Cervical cancer or anything like that that i know of. Thank you for taking the time to answer. :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 31, 2007 5:07 am

User avatar I suspect that your lack of a regular period is related to several issues including just having a baby and the birth control. It can take several months (6-12) to return to a regular cycle after either of these.

Generally the issue with starting on contraceptives after a period is to ensure that you are not pregnant. If you have had multiple negative pregnancy tests and are confident that you are not pregnant then it should be OK to start the contraceptives.

If you are uncertain about pregnancy, your obstetrician can do a blood pregnancy test that is much more sensitive than the urine tests.

|