Question: 6 weeks pregnant and bleeding

dgbud - Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:15 am

I am 32 years old and have been under fertility treatment for 6 months. I am beginning my 6 week of pregnancy. For the past week, I have been spotting and light bleeding. It stops and starts again. For the past 4 days I noticed that my breast were not sore and swollen anymore. I haven't had any cramps or pains, just light bleeding. My HSG level was checked the day after the bleeding began, 6 days ago, and it was 1168 which the doctor said was normal. It had increased since it was checked previously. I saw the doctor again a couple days after the test and he said that checking my levels again would not tell them much and to wait until my first ultrasound , which would be 6 1/2 weeks of pregnancy, unless my symptoms worsened. I am wondering if the bleeding along with my breast not being sore anymore could be a sign of miscarriage and should I do something before this appt. in 4 days or just wait since I don't have any pain or cramps?
Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:04 pm

User avatar I would recommend that you contact your obstetrician and discuss your symptoms. I don't think I would jump to the idea of having a miscarriage but certainly you should let your obstetrician know what is going on. Bleeding is always a concern that should be addressed.

tweetymel - Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:42 am

i started bleeding at 10 weeks, and have now been bleeding for 5 weeks, the dr told me i have a blood pocket on my uterus and it would desolve itself BUT it has been 5 weeks and i am still bleeding with only 2 days of rest in between, and my last ultrasound showed the pocket bigger, just wanted another doctor's opinion, it is a scary thing to go through considering this didn't happen to me for my other 2 pregnancies.......
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:53 am

User avatar I am assuming you are talking about light, painless bleeding, rather than heavy. Yes, this can continue for a while if you have a subchorionic hemorrhage. Your risk for other complications are a bit higher, but these things do sometimes heal over and you can go on to have a healthy pregnancy.

Of course you are worried. Unfortunately it's one of those things where you have to just wait and see what happens since you can't do anything about it. Just take it easy with light activity, avoiding strenuous, physical lifting, etc. This is just to prevent aggravating the situation.

But if you have strong cramping and/or heavy bleeding call your doctor.

|