News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Missing Period over 1 year

CherryCoke - Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:17 am

Like the subject says, I have not had a period in almost exactly a year. I am an 18 year old female and have never been sexually active, and therefore not using any form of contraception either. Nor am I on any medication.
I was a late developer and got my period at around the age of 16 and it became regular pretty quick. SInce the end of May last year though I haven't had a period. I still have a normal discharge. I have been to my GP about it and I was given a blood test which showed that there were no hormonal problems, thyroid problems or polycystic ovaries.
At first I thought it could be due to stress, as I had just finished some important exams, but to be truthful I never FELT particularly stressed out about them, and I would have expected my period to have restarted by now.
My GP worked out my BMI and said it was underaverage, I know this could be a cause.
However she would like to refer me to the hospital for an ultrasound. I can go for a referal when I wish.
What I would like to know is what will be looked for in the ultrasound, and if nothing is revelaled what a course of action would be. Although my BMI is underaverage I cannot see how to improve it, as I already eat plenty (and I have never had an eating disorder) but I always remain thin.
Sorry for the long post!
 Marceline F, RN - Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:09 am

User avatar Dear CherryCoke,
I understand you have had a good workup from your GP. I would suggest you ask your primary for a referral to an OBGYN for an advanced workup. Women's health issues require specialized care.and knowledge that may often be outside the routine base of knowledge of a general practitioner.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here