Question: How can I be fertile so soon?

Cutiepie - Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:00 pm

I'm a 26 yrs old. My last period was Mar 24, 2007 and lasted 5 days which ended March 28, 2007. My periods are usually 25 days btw the next. I had sex on Mar 29 and the condom burst with another guy. My bf and I were having problems. I have already asked for forgiveness from God. I had unprotected sex on April 1 but my bf did not ejaculate inside of me. I had unprotected sex with him again on April 3 and he ejaculated inside me. I am now pregnant 10 weeks pregnant. The doctor said conception occurred April 5. I broke up with my bf on April 3 after we had sex and a heated argument. I am scared. Advise please.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:13 pm

User avatar Based on a 25 day cycle, ovulation would be expected on day 11 of your cycle.

This puts the "fertile" days starting at day 4 if one assumes that sperm can survive for 7 days in the vaginal/uterine tract. 7 days is probably about the longest that sperm would be expected to survive (if that long).

Using this calculation (which is a rough calculation), one would expect your risk of pregnancy to begin increasing around March 28th with the chances being much more around April 1st.

I hope this helps a little.

Cutiepie - Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:32 pm

Thank you Dr. Lowe. I am still a bit confused though. My doctor stated that due to my regular 25 days periods, I would have ovulated on the 12th day which is April 4th. So which partner is likely to be the father? The one I had protected intercourse with and he claimed the condom burst on March 29 or my ex with whom I had unprotected sex with April 1 and April 3 and he ejaculated in me? I am now 10 weeks pregnant.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:38 pm

User avatar This is a difficult question. The chances are better that pregnancy is from the contact on the 3rd; however, if the condom did break and semen was present in the vaginal tract from 3/29 it is possible that sperm may still have been viable on the 4th allowing for fertilization.

Unfortunately, short of DNA testing there is not a test to help figure this out at this point.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer than this. Please feel free to post follow ups if you have other questions.

Cutiepie - Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:05 pm

Thanks Dr Lowe. Would this information help. On April 3, there was a whitish slightly thick discharge when i went to the restroom prior to sexual contact. I took a shower prior to sexual contact. Does this signal the onset of ovulation and thus, i can hopefully conclude that April 3 was the day I began ovulating and conception occurred between April 4-5?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:52 pm

User avatar This may or may not have been indicative of ovulation. Even if it were not, ovulation would still have been expected around this date based on your cycles. Unfortunately, it may not help much with determining paternity since it is possible for sperm from both men to still be viable and able to fertilize the egg during this time.

It is a little more likely that the contact on the 3rd was the one that caused fertilization compared to 3/29 simply because the sperm cells will be more healthy at that point and more apt to successfully achieve fertilization. Fertilization typically does not occur on the exact day of ovulation. Instead it usually occurs a day or several days later as the egg travels down the fallopian tubes. This extra time makes it less likely that sperm from 3/29 would continue to be viable. This is in no way a guarantee, though.

Cutiepie - Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Thanks for your insight Dr Lowe. I know I've had intercourse a few days after my period and I did not get pregnant especially because my periods are regular. I use the calendar to check when I may menstruate and it either happens the exact day or a day after because I can feel my abodmen and I start to have cravings and my temperature increases a bit. I use protection 98% of the times since I decided to have sex. I do agree with you it is more likely that conception would have taken place between Apil 4-6 since I more than likely ovulated between April 3-6. Is it possible for a prospective daddy to get any symptoms like the prospective mother? Perhaps gaining weight, tiredness, vomitting, aches and pains? My ex says he's been feeling really tired and he is so concerned and his feet aches when he stands for too long. The only symptom I've had is tiredness, a little weight and a little uneasy when I go to bed.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:16 am

User avatar There is such thing as a sympathy or psychosomatic reaction in some fathers but it is not biologically caused so it usually relates to their emotional state relating to the pregnant mother or the anticipation of the expected child. They seem to be very empathetic to what the mother experiences and seem to mimic the symptoms. If the father doesn't even know about the pregnancy and is not actively involved in it now, it is unlikely he is having this type of reaction. Probably stress or picking up some kind of virus, independent of the pregnancy.
 Cutiepie - Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:33 am

Thank you RN Debbie. I guess with my ex it could be anixiety or something else but probably concerned about the pregnancy. He calls me everyday to see how I'm doing. Can you give me your insight into the possibility of the paternity. My doctor stated that due to my regular 25 day periods, I would have ovulated on the 12th day which is April 4th or between April 5 & 6. So which partner is likely to be the father? The one I had protected intercourse with and the condom ruptured on March 29 or my ex with whom I had unprotected sex with April 1 and April 3 and he ejaculated in me? I am now 10 weeks pregnant.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:37 pm

User avatar I agree with Dr. Lowe. While the most likely occurence would be with the intercourse that occured the beginning of April, there is a slight chance that it was the other man. If I had to put money on it, I'd go with the April guy but only DNA testing can actually verify this. Sorry we can't be more reassuring to you. Good luck!
 Cutiepie - Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:01 am

THank you Debbie RN. If there is such a thing as instincts, I'd say it was my ex. I feel and sense it. After the encounter on April 1 and 3rd, I was lying down for quite awhile. There have been instances where I read that sperms are more viable if the female lies down for while so that they can be deposited closer to the cervix to travel. After the encounter on March 29, I got up so quickly I doubt the sperms got a chance to swim that far. It wasn't a long encounter and I was up and about.
 Cutiepie - Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:45 pm

Update:

My OBGYN stated that I actually have my periods every 30 days or so. In Dec it was 27 and in Jan it was 27 and Feb and March it was 30 days between. For Jan of a new year it's 1-3 days less than it was the entire yr. So i think the pattern is 30. I guess I calculated incorrectly. So in that case based on the previous information excluding the possible ovutaion dates wasn't I more likely to haev ovulated between April 5 or 6? Who is more likely to be the father? Also do I stop taking folic acid at any time during my pregnancy, i'm 10 week and 5 days.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:12 am

User avatar You need folic acid throughout your pregnancy but if you take a prenatal vitamin, it should have adequate amounts (at least 400 mcg daily) so you would not have to add more unless you had a history of children born with birth defects, especially certain kinds such as spina bifida. Good luck with the pregnancy.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:36 am

User avatar Basically, ovulation would be expected 14 days before the start of your next period. So for a 28 day cycle this would be 14 days after the last period. For a 25 day cycle it would be 11 days after. For a 30 day cycle it would be 16 days after the start of the last period.

This would put your expected ovulation day around April 8th or 9th based on the math in my head. Fertility would be expected to begin around April 2nd or so based on this.

These are rough estimates and aren't always accurate but can at least give some fairly solid estimates.

|