Question: Withdrawal from contraceptives

clarejh - Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:26 am

I am 34 and married. I stopped taking the pill(Logynon) 8 weeks ago after 2 years of being on it and had a normal withdrawal bleed. I then had a light period for a couple of days starting just over 4 weeks ago.

I experienced no withdrawal symptoms (except weight gain) from the pill for the first 6 weeks, however over the last 2 weeks exactly I suddenly started to experience a number of symptoms including abdominal discomfort, nausea and dizziness, hormonal mood swings, aversion to certain foods, cigarettes and alcohol - replaced by the desire to drink lots of water (approx 3 litres per day), frequent urination and poor bladder control and constipation.

I have not yet had a period this month but do tend to usually have a 4.5 to 5 week cycle. I did a pregnancy test this morning with a negative result. Are these symptoms typical of ceasing oral contraceptives? and if so how long are they likely to last? Is there still a possibility that I may be pregnant?

I'm obviously concerned that there may be precautions I should be taking if there is a possibility that I may be pregnant and would appreciate your advice

Many thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:04 pm

I will try to address some of your questions. I'll start with the last one. Whenever you are of childbearing age and sexually active, you should be taking a multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg folate or folic acid. It has been shown to reduce serious birth defects when levels are adequate from the very moment of conception. Since at least 50% of pregnancies are unintentional, the best course is for all sexually active women to consider themselves potentially pregnant and have their body in good condition that way.

If you are planning to become pregnant it is also important to try to eat right, get to as normal a weight as possible, stop smoking and reduce alcohol consumption in preparation for a healthy pregnancy.

As for cessation of oral contraception, most side effects are related to the changing hormone levels and are usually transient. Irregular periods could happen, though this would not be common. I would suspect your symptoms are unrelated to the cessation of the pill and would suggest that you talk with your health care provider to try and determine the actual cause.

|