Question: Full gyn examination, first ever, what should I expect.

AJAJ - Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:22 pm

My first ever gyn has bookied me in for what he described as a 'full examination' what should I expect as it is my first ever, I know that he'll explain what he's going to do on the day, but some pre-warning would really put me at ease. Also I have a very narrow vagina, and I am still a virgin, will this make the exam more uncomfortable (I'm 23).
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:07 pm

User avatar The exam will be rather quick, and pretty painless.

The Dr. will first insert a spectulum into your vagina to open it, so he can see the cervix. The spectulum looks kind of like a curling iron, and it opens to widen the vagina. This is not painful at all.

Once the cervix can be seen, the doctor will use a tool which kind of looks like a mascara wand, and he will take a scraping from the cervix to send to the lab. This is a Pap smear, and is used to check for abnormal cells in the cervix. This isn't painful, but it can be uncomfortable, and may feel like a pinch deep in the tummy.

Lastly, the doctor will insert a finger into the vagina, and put a hand on the belly, and this is to feel your ovaries, just to check and see that he cannot feel any cysts.

Then your all done!

The actual exam part is quick, it won't take more than a few minutes, and should be painless. It may be uncomfortable, but should never hurt.

Make sure to ask any questions you may have, don't be shy or embarassed, it's his job to answer questions.

Good for you for getting the exam, it's very important to have each year.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:20 pm

User avatar If I could add to Shana's excellent explanation, I would remind you that it is also a good time to discuss your sexual health with your doctor. If you are sexually active (or plan to be) you should discuss contraception and other safety concerns like sexually transmitted infections. He/she will likely also do a breast exam and can teach you how to do this yourself monthly at home. This is an important part of preventive medicine for good health. Of course other items can also be discussed. If you have concerns about weight or anything else that could impact your childbearing years, this could be a good time for pre-pregnancy planning. Also, young women of childbearing age, like yourself, should be getting a daily multivitamin, containing at least 400 mcg folate (or Folic Acid). This presence in the body even before conception occurs can help prevent serious birth defects so act now to protect your future unborn children.

Good luck and feel free to post again if you have other questions about this.

|