Question: IUD, nursing, and spotting, cramping

navybaby131 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:56 pm

I am a 24 female and have 2 kids. After my second daughter was born, I got an IUD in Oct. 2006. I bled for a few days after it was inserted, but other than that I haven't had a problem with it. I am also nursing my 10 month of daughter (she takes 1 bottle every couple of days). About 3 weeks ago, I started spotting, I figured that my period was coming back. This happened for 3 days. I even had cramps. But I never started my period. I've had cramps off and on during the past couple of weeks,but I don't ever get my period. The most recent series of cramps occurred yesterday. Is it possible that I'm pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:07 pm

User avatar IUDs are very effective and when you combine that with almost exclusive breastfeeding, I believe you can be quite confident you are not pregnant. At least the odds are very high in favor of that. Probably this is just your body's reaction to the IUD. With some IUDs that emit a hormone, you may not have periods or they may be just as you have described and not "normal" in the sense that you may be more accustomed to. Absence of periods or very light ones are not a problem, however.

|