News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: IUD, nursing, and spotting, cramping

navybaby131 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:56 pm

I am a 24 female and have 2 kids. After my second daughter was born, I got an IUD in Oct. 2006. I bled for a few days after it was inserted, but other than that I haven't had a problem with it. I am also nursing my 10 month of daughter (she takes 1 bottle every couple of days). About 3 weeks ago, I started spotting, I figured that my period was coming back. This happened for 3 days. I even had cramps. But I never started my period. I've had cramps off and on during the past couple of weeks,but I don't ever get my period. The most recent series of cramps occurred yesterday. Is it possible that I'm pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:07 pm

User avatar IUDs are very effective and when you combine that with almost exclusive breastfeeding, I believe you can be quite confident you are not pregnant. At least the odds are very high in favor of that. Probably this is just your body's reaction to the IUD. With some IUDs that emit a hormone, you may not have periods or they may be just as you have described and not "normal" in the sense that you may be more accustomed to. Absence of periods or very light ones are not a problem, however.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here