Question: Abnormal Periods and Positive Pregnancy Tests

dacubster - Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:46 pm

I am a 24 year old female, average to slight overweight. Diagnosed with asthma, bronchitis, unspecified tachycardia, anxiety, hyperthyroidism.

Medications include albuteral, pulmicort, singulair, allegra, toprol. Surgeries include septoplasty and EP Study.

A number of cancers on both sides of family (colon, pancreatic, skin, prostrate), as well as diabetes on my mother's side.

My problem is that my period is completely out of whack. I couldn't keep track of it even if I tried. There are times when it shows up once a month, but most often it comes in durations of 3-4 months apart. When it does come, it usually is heavy and I experience cramps but it disappears in less than a day or so, sometimes a few hours.

The doctors originally concluded that it could be because of my hyperthroidism or the steriods I took for my breathing conditions, but the missed periods started before these conditions began, and the thyroid is currently controlled.

I have been given 8-10 pregnancy tests at various hospitalizations, doctors appts., etc. most of which have come back positive. Problem is that I have never been sexual active, and I have had to fight the doctors to believe me, and even adamently refused a full examination because of 3 concurrent positive tests. Needless to say I have never been pregnant, but over the past 2 years I still get these false positives.

I have never been to a gynecologist (more for fear than anything else) and am wondering if this is just something that I am thinking too much about. Are these reasonable concerns that should be told to my doctors? I am a bit tired of being seen as the Immaculate Conception, or fibbing about my last menstration cycle to just get a routine x-ray done.

THank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:49 am

User avatar I'm sure there must be some kind of hormone imbalance going on. The best thing for you to do would be to schedule an appointment for a complete exam with your gynecologist. Explain the history and hopefully you will be able to get some type of answer. Try not to be afraid of this exam - your imagination about it is probably running away with you. The staff will be supportive and there should not be pain involved, except for the possible blood draw. The exam itself is at worst, uncomfortable and awkward; but likely not too difficult for you.

Good luck with this.

|