Question: High Testorone Levels in Women

Pinkcat - Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:27 pm

I'm a 23, female, married and use protection for sex. Not trying to have children at the moment, but would like to start trying in about 6 months. I've only gotten one period since December of 2006, the doctor put me on provera and I got it April 2007, now haven't had one since. I did get my testorone level checked last time and I just got the results today and it's high. Which I do have symptoms, hair growth, acne etc. What does having high testorone mean? What can I do about it? How is it going to affect having children? Thanks for you help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:45 pm

User avatar It is possible you could have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). In this condition your hormone levels such as testosterone and insulin are a little out of balance. Both men and women need testosterone, but in order to function most properly, there needs to be the correct balance of female and male hormones.

If PCOS is the problem, it could affect your fertility. Your doctor can prescribe medications to help you in that case.

|