Question: Have symptom of herpes. Married and faithful so is my Hubby.

mali73 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:14 am

I am 27 and have been married for 7 years and was a virgin when I married as was my husband. Just this week during intercourse with my husband I felt a slight discomfort on the right side of my vulva. It is a slight burning whenever I urinate and wipe. Other than these times I feel nothing. Last night I decided to see if I could feel something causing this discomfort- and I felt a bump on the right side if my vulva, just under the lip down torwards the opening of my vagina. When I passed my finger over it I felt the same burning ( like sores do ). The only thing I can think that this could be is herpes- because it is a lump and it is somewhat painful when in contact with other things! But, I am faithful to my husband and I know without a doubt in my mind that my husband is faithful to me...therefore how could I have herpes? Do you know of anything else this could be? I intend to see my gynecologist- but in the meantime...your imput would be nice.
The only thing I can add is that when I was 15 I almost had sexual intercourse with a boy- and I say almost because although he touched my vulva with his penis he didn't penetrate- the whole experience lasted 5 minutes- but even if he had herpes this was 12 years ago and this is the first time I have ever had a symptom like this, and that was the last sexual encounter I had before I was married at 19. I have had 2 kids and nothing was ever noted by my gyn before.
Thank you for your time,
Mali
 mali73 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:16 am

I just read someones else's post mentioning the same thing that I have and the nurse responded with a possible Bartholin gland cyst. I researched it and it sounds like what I have. I have been really moist for the last month or so and now this has occurred- I'll try a sitz bath for awhile and hopefully it will go away on it own and I won't have to have abcess treatments. If this is in accordance with what you think I have also or if you have any other suggestions- I would appreciate your reply. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:24 am

User avatar I would say it is unlikely it is herpes based on this information. I would definitely not worry about the former boyfriend encounter. But, in all honesty, there are cases where spouses have been deceived. I am not suggesting this is the case for you, but we never rule out the possibility if a sexually transmitted infection is discovered. Only your doctor can determine if this is the case.

The lump could be caused by a cyst (glands are present in that area). If infection is present a cyst can be painful. There are other things that can cause a rash or skin irritation. Allowing time for healing, you may discover it goes away on its own and was merely a temporary condition. It can be infection (yeast or bacteria), irritation from clothing, chemicals or friction, as with sexual encounters. Even sweating or urine leakage can cause such irritation.

Use plain water for washing and allow the area time to heal without subjecting yourself to intercourse. If time and rest does not heal the area, see your gynecologist for sure, as you have planned.

|