Question: rectal bleeding only while menstruating

gls65 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 pm

I am 18 years old and have only had my period for about two and a half years. I 'm sure that this is an abnormality and, through my internet search. have not found anything even remotely similar to this extremely embarrassing situation. When I have my period, I bleed from my rectum as well. As the title of the thread states, the rectal bleeding only happens while I have my period. Not to be too graphic, but the amount of blood does correlate to the actual menstrual flow. I am aware that I should go to the doctor with this problem, but how do I even bring up this topic with my mother who I would need to take me to the doctor (I just turned 18)? I have never told anyone about this and could really use a doctor's suggestion of what it is/ what to do about it. Please help if you can.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:22 pm

User avatar This could be a sign of endometriosis or even something else so it is important to talk to your doctor for sure. Just tell you mother what you have told us, that there is an unusual element to your menstrual period and you think you should have it checked out. I'm sure she will be OK with that.

If you have a tendency toward constipation in connection with your period, you may be having some hemorrhoids that bleed, but since you did not mention this, I am thinking it is unlikely in your case.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. Thanks for your question.

|