Question: Could I be Pregnant?

revakasha - Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:58 pm

I had unprotected sex on the 28th of June and that was also when I was ovulating. I then had my cycle which was light 2 weeks later but this is not the first time I have been pregnant and had a cycle. However I was supposed to have my cycle for Aug. on the 3rd thru the 6th and then again on the 24 thru the 28th but I did not have my first cycle and all of a sudden today I started spotting with a brown tinge to it. I spoke with my sister who is a PA and asked her what she thought and she said it could be break through bleeding. I did not take a home test because my hcg levels do not show until I am about 6 months which is noted by doctors i have been too. I am just wondering what you would recommend I do and to ask if it normal for a person to have dull back pain, weight gain, tender breast, and nausua for 5 weeks ? There has not been any changes in my life nor in any thing I do.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:42 am

User avatar As you know, pregnancy is certainly likely, given the symptoms you describe and many women experience some light bleeding (periods) even when pregnant. You have not indicated if pregnancy is a welcome condition or not. If you are sexually active and not desiring pregnancy, I hope you will discuss contraceptive options with your health care provider. Also, if you do not use birth control, knowing you could be pregnant at any time, it would be especially important for you to maintain good health and nutrition, including taking a multi-vitamin containing folic acid (400 mcg). Since pregnancy could occur without your knowledge, being in good health will help ensure a healthy baby. It would also be wise to avoid any unhealthy habits such as smoking and alcohol.

Since you have a history of low hCG levels in pregnancy, you should see your doctor to determine pregnancy. There are other ways to do this through examination and/or ultrasound technology.

As for other causes of your symptoms - mostly they would likely be hormonal in nature, so once again, a doctor's consultation would be recommended. There is also the possibility these symptoms have other causes but the cluster does suggest something related to the reproductive system.

|