Question: On and off breast pain

Alison014 - Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:02 pm

I have been having off and on breast pain, the pain usually goes from under my arm pit all along the side of my breast, frequent urination and aching lower back pain. Last week I thought I had a UTI because I had pain while urinating but it only last one day and now it is gone. Any thoughts??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:50 pm

User avatar Any possibility you might be pregnant? People can experience varied symptoms with pregnancy but hormone changes can definitely cause breast tenderness, though this is typically around the nipple area.

Have you done breast self-examination to look for any lumps? This would be important information for your doctor. You could also be experiencing some radiating pain from swollen lymph nodes.

You should see a doctor to determine the cause of these symptoms. They may be totally unrelated (i.e. UTI and other breast condition) rather than symptoms of just one problem. We often make the assumption when symptoms appear at once but it can go either way.

The temporary pain with urination could have been just a transient irritation of the urethra. In absence of other symptoms a UTI is unlikely but some people have them without clear symptoms so you want to check it out when you see your doctor.

Good luck with sorting this out. Let us know if you have other questions.
 Alison014 - Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:37 am

You mentioned several things as a reply to my post. One is pregnancy. That is a possibiliy but would I be exibiting these symptoms now. I mean I am not due for my period for another three days. And at the risk of sounding stupid i'm not sure how much of a possibility it is. I usually get my period on the 17th the last time I had sex was July 28th, is that even possible? Not to mention it was kind of a strange encounter. Meaning my partner and I use the pull out method and he barely got it in before he had to pull it out. At the risk of sounding crass he popped his cork a little early. So i'm just curiouse if that is even a possibiliy. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:21 pm

User avatar There is a possibility, but I would say pregnancy is not likely based on when your period is due. Withdrawal is not a reliable birth control method in and of itself, however, so that would not be the main reason it is unlikely. If you do not want to become pregnant, I would recommend a more reliable form of contraception.

|