News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Discharge

kandy - Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:56 pm

I am a married 25 yr old female with no diseases..

I have been having discharge for maybe 10 years, but I never had it really examined, until about 3mths ago, I finally asked my family doctor about this. He ran a few tests for a general check-up, which included also a pap test. They discovered that I have a little bit of inflamation and bacteria, which he said were normal. He prescribed something for the bacteria that i was to take for about a week, but I never bought it.

My sister-in-law told me that she recently had a procedure done with her doctor and she got rid of most of her discharge. I didn't ask her about details and didn't tell her that i have the same problem either.
What is this procedure? Is it safe? My doctor back in Montreal had once told me I should be thankful for my discharge because it'll be useful for lubrication once im 50!?

Is it normal for me to have to change my underwear everyday because of this (though i try to squeeze out some discharge everytime i use the bathroom)?

I am very clean down there and always shower after sex. And my discharge is cream colored when "fresh" and turns into yellow when it's dry. It also has a mayo/vinegar smell to it.

Any input is appreciated,
Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:58 pm

User avatar Vaginal discharge is normal and people vary in the amounts of it. A normal vaginal discharge consists of about a teaspoon (4 ML) a day that is white or transparent, thick to thin, and odorless. This is formed by the normal bacteria and fluids the vaginal cells put off. The discharge may change throughout the month depending on ovulation, menstrual flow, sexual activity and birth control. When ovulating it tends to be thicker and more noticeable. Basically the body is "cleaning house" and keeping the vagina clean and healthy. There's a reason mini-pads are big sellers! I don't know what treatment your sister-in-law had. Perhaps she was having some abnormal bleeding.

It would be abnormal if you noticed a strong, unpleasant, even "fishy" odor, if it itches or you have pain with intercourse, etc. Those situations might require medical treatment.
 kandy - Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:59 am

thank you for the response.

I do notice a smell. It's like vinegar, or possibly yeast. So this smell is normal i assume because all my doctor found is some bacteria? Also, because the doctor did the pap test and all, that means i can rule out a yeast infection, right?

And do i need to be concerned if a certain gyno 2 yrs ago said i have a slight inflammation when she did my pap test, and then the doctor i went to see 2-3mths ago, also said the same?

Thanks again :)
 kandy - Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:01 pm

and is there a way to get rid of discharge?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:05 pm

User avatar Odor can signify yeast infection which may not be detected in a pap smear, so, especially if you are noticing a "cottage cheese" type discharge and itching/burning/redness, there is a chance you could have yeast overgrowth.

I do not know of a way to get rid of normal discharge unless the doctor is able to affect it hormonally. Most likely it is the body's natural functioning which will be strongest around ovulation. Some women are able to effectively use natural family planning by simply noticing vaginal secretions and timing sexual intercourse to coincide with safer days.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here