News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Intercourse first day of period...

dixiemom8203 - Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:07 pm

I'm 24 yrs old, I've had irregular periods for the last 5-6 months...so I'm not exactly sure if my ovulation period is exact or off by a mile, if you understand what I mean. Anyways. Monday night my fiance and I had intercourse and we didn't use a condom. Well I went to use the restroom and noticed I was bleeding a little. Needless to say it was my period. My periods are usually quite heavy and last for several days (7-9). This time, it is not that heavy and I can wear a single pad for more than 4 hrs without changing it. (Odd for me since I usually change it within an hr or 2 during the first 4 days.)

So...my question is. Can I get pregnant during that time frame?

Thank you in advance.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:51 pm

User avatar Because we do not know exactly when a woman will ovulate, there is literally no "100% safe" days when you definitely would not get pregnant. But, with that disclaimer, if your period occurred right at the time you had intercourse (it sounds like within hours) it is very unlikely you would be pregnant from that encounter. If I understand the time frame correctly, it would be too soon for the bleeding to be due to implantation, unless you had actually become pregnant a few weeks prior to this "period" and it actually is implantation bleeding. If that is the case, a home pregnancy test would be able to determine. Use first morning urine and follow directions as to when it should be "read."
 dixiemom8203 - Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:30 am

Thank you for your reply first of all.

Secondly,

Last night I burped a little and I thought I was going to vomit. I felt nauseous all last night and some this morning. We aren't actively trying to get pregnant, but only trying every now and then saying "if it happens it happens". Could I have gotten pregnant from August 27th's incident? How soon can I take a test?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:59 pm

User avatar About a week from your missed period date you should be able to get a good result from the test. Be sure to follow the instructions exactly. But, still, the odds are not great that you would conceive the day of your period. Possible, but not probable.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here