Question: Vaginal Tear

Alison014 - Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:23 am

I am 29 and this past weekend, after having sex with my boyfriend i was bleeding alot! After I realized this was not normal I went to the hospital where I was told I have a vaginal tear and recieved stiches. I am soo freaked out by this and so is he. I just don't understand how this could have happend or why! I'm wondering if you could offer any insight becuase at this point i don't think we will be able to get past this. its been about 4 days and I still don't feel right. Today i feel kind of nausea and fatigue but I think that is to be expected as i get back into normal routine, right?? Any insight offered would be greatly appreciated! All we did was have very normal sex and after i noticed blood on the sheets and it just din't stop! so i'm looking for why or how?? I asked at the hospital and all i got is "it happens".
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:38 pm

I can't help wondering if you needed some extra lubrication. Entering when the vagina is too dry can certainly be traumatic to the tissues. Adequate psychological preparation (foreplay) can also help this situation.

There is a problem some women have called Lichen Sclerosus and it is treated with topical steroids. You can discuss this with your doctor (GYN or dermatologist).

I would expect it to take a couple of weeks to heal so take care to avoid additional trauma to the area. You can use the traditional treatments for postpartum tears such as sitz baths, Tucks, pain relief topical creams, and ice. Be sure you do not get constipated - drink lots of water, eat fiber or use fiber supplements such as Citracel, Fibercon, Benefiber or Metamucil. You may even take a stool softener. Avoid intercourse during the healing phase.

|