News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Period?

jenn0588 - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:23 am

I am 19 years old and female and am taking no current medications. One week ago i had to take the morning after pill, or plan b. Since theni think i started my period...early, like 2 weeks early. Should i be worried anout being pregnant? What is the difference between having your period and spotting?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:01 pm

User avatar Spotting generally is just a much lighter period of bleeding. This can sometimes be confusing because spotting frequently occurs at the time of implantation in pregnancy and happens usually about the time the woman would have had a period, thus confusing the issue.

Plan B is quite effective but it would not be unusual for it to alter your menstrual cycle, regularity, etc. Because it is hormonal in nature, it can affect any aspect of your hormones. You can always to a pregnancy test if you are in doubt.

If you had a pretty normal period after the sexual encounter, it would be unlikely you are pregnant.

May I suggest using a reliable form of birth control. Plan B should not be relied upon for routine contraception; but rather as a backup. Let us know if you need help with this.

Good luck.
 jenn0588 - Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:55 am

What should i do to get birth control?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:48 am

User avatar If you live in a place that has Planned Parenthood this can be a good option for you. You can also consult with any family planning clinic, gynecologist, or family practice physician. There are many different options and your doctor or clinic can help you decide what is right for you and your partner based on your individual needs, desires and risk factors. It is important that both of you are in agreement so you will be diligent in its use.

Latex condoms can do a lot of good in preventing pregnancy but also in helping to reduce your risk of a sexually transmitted infection. If you are in a monogamous, long-term relationship you may want to use other methods which do carry some risks. Included here would be IUD, oral contraceptives, patch, vaginal ring, injections, cycle beads (NFP), etc. Your doctor can help you determine which risk factors you may have. You and your partner should discuss what method you can be comfortable with as well.

Good luck
Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here