Question: Missing periods and trying to conceive

pudder - Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:16 pm

I am 24 and stopped taking birth control in November 2006 - it is now September 2007. I have had my period twice since stopping the pill - April 17 (4 days) and June 14 (3 days). I went for my annual pap and it came back normal. I am trying to get pregnant. I have heard that some people start taking the pill again to try and regulate their ovulation cycles, is that something you suggest?

I have had low weight in the past and my periods still took place but were very light. I am now at a healthy weight so I do not think that my weight is the issue.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:28 am

User avatar You may not be ovulating regularly.

If you are fertile and sexually active, the average time for conception would be within about a year of trying. So, I wouldn't worry too much but you may want to see your doctor about the possibility of regulating your periods. However, ovulation is the real question and it isn't necessary to have periods every month, though it helps some women to predict their fertile times to plan accordingly and it could indicate a lack of ovulation so you may need to have an overall pre-conception visit with a gynecologist.

Good luck in your efforts.

|