Question: Prolonged Period

ma_girl - Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:51 am

I am having irregular period since I started menstrating. I am lucky to have 2 healthy kids and thought and have heard from doctor's that after delivery your cycle will become regular. I think the cycle is Irregular due to Polycyctic Ovaries

Lately, I have been having my periods since 15 days, still it is NOT stopping. I called my Gynac and he says that to start Predistone - It might stop it and than your cycle will come again. I am NOT sure what that means.... I have already had my period for 15 days and if the medicine does NOT stop it what is the use or it

Ideas? Thoughts?
Appreciate your replies and thanks for spending the time to help out
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:03 pm

User avatar Some women do report that after having a child their periods change and may be more regular, less cramping, etc. but I wouldn't say this is a guarantee for sure.

I am not familiar with Predistone at all so I can't help you with that one. Could it be progesterone? At any rate, hormones should be able to stop your period so you should get back to your doctor with these concerns. Some women do require some artificial hormone therapy to get things working properly. Birth control pills are frequently used for hormone regulation too and are sometimes indicated in PCOS. Other treatments include insulin regulating medications such as Metformin.

If you suspect PCOS, you should definitely ask your gynecologist about this possibility.

Best wishes
 ma_girl - Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:00 am

I am not familiar with Predistone at all so I can't help you with that one. Could it be progesterone?

Yes, I think the doctor mentions Progestrerone. As we are NOT medical people, we misunderstand which drug they are talking about!!

At any rate, hormones should be able to stop your period so you should get back to your doctor with these concerns. Some women do require some artificial hormone therapy to get things working properly. Birth control pills are frequently used for hormone regulation too and are sometimes indicated in PCOS. Other treatments include insulin regulating medications such as Metformin

I tried getting back to the doctor, but she has given an appointment after a month!! What artificial hormone therapy can be done?

I have tried the birth control pills but they have been a little harsh and I would like to avoid it due to it's side effects

Thanks for you time Debbie and I am very glad you were able to answer some of my questions here
 ma_girl - Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks Debbie,

Finally after 22 days, the period stopped. The GYN said it might be PCOS (due to my history) and mentioned that I can start birth control pills to get a regular cycle. I have earlier taken Cryslle(or something similar) and that had bad side effects on me, so I stopped it. She also mentioned about Progestrone and mentioned that I can take that 10 days in a month to try and regulate it

They have taken a blood sample as I was feeling very weak and will see how the Hb and the Iron levels are

Thanks for your help Debbie
 ma_girl - Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:56 am

Hello Debbie,

I met a PCOS specialist and she also mentioned to start Metformin (Insulin medicine) or Birth Control pill. She said that because that is the root cause by regulating your insulin, you might get your cycle back. Also, due to my family history of diabetes, she said that would be a good option to start Metformin.

My question is :- Would Metformin be a good idea or would birth control pill be a good idea for trying to get back the regular cycle? Also, as each drug has issues, I want to avoid any drug as much as possible. The PCOS specialist said that Metformin will not lower your sugar level and is a clinically proven drug, so we were thinking of using that option.

I would like to hear experiences or notes/issues from others?

Thanks in advance
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:30 am

I'm glad to see you are progressing in your diagnostic process. Metformin is a very safe and effective medication. I would definitely try that but also using progesterone or birth control pills would also be helpful. You may want to start with one and add others if necessary. One medication does not preclude the others. The hormones in birth control pills are what I mean by artificial hormones - we are just doing what the body can't do for itself.

With excessive blood loss, you could be slightly anemic. If an iron supplement is needed, it will take a few months to bring it back up so don't expect instant results on that. You can also increase your iron-rich foods to help. Red meats, kidney beans, egg yolk, cream of wheat, spinach, whole grains and other meats are good sources. The ones that come from animal sources are rich in heme iron and that is most easily utilized in your body.

Good luck in this. I know it can sometimes be a trial and error process to get the right balance but I trust your doctor will stay with it until you achieve the results you need. Best wishes.
 ma_girl - Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:41 am

Metformin is a very safe and effective medication. I would definitely try that but also using progesterone or birth control pills would also be helpful. You may want to start with one and add others if necessary. One medication does not preclude the others.

Following up on my post earlier.

As mentioned by Debbie Miller, I started Metformin (8-9 months ago) and still my periods are NOT regular. I met the Gynec again and she has suggested Progesterone along with the Metformin (which is on going). As suggested earlier, I started one and added another.

My question is : How long will it be before I get to regular periods? I have not had a period for the last 3 months. Note: I did have some spotting a number of times but really NOT the period.

Could someone shed some light on what are my options?
 ma_girl - Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:45 am

Update:

I took Progestrone and got the period after 10 days or so. I will monitor what happens next. I continue with Metformin.

|