Question: skipped pill, had sex, do i need plan b?

matolly03 - Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:27 am

On thursday I was 12 hours late taking my pill. On friday night I had sex (it was a heat of the moment thing). It's Sunday now and I have been taking my pills correctly since Thursday. Do i need to take emergency contraception (plan b)? And if so, do i just continue taking the rest of the pills in my pack as I normally would?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:17 pm

User avatar I wouldn't worry too much about one missed pill. The recommendation is that you take it when you remember, even if it means two in one day, You do not need to use a back up method but it would not have to be as drastic as Plan B (condom use would be fine). If you missed two pills sometime in the first two weeks you should resume but take two pills per day for the next two days and use backup contraception for the rest of the cycle.

If you are in the last 7 days of your pill pack and you use traditional pills (not extended cycle) you don't need to worry about missing them since they are sometimes called "sugar pills" and do not contain hormones. This allows you to have a period.

There is no way to be 100% sure you will not become pregnant because there is a failure rate even with perfect use (about one in 100 women using the pill will become pregnant). If you do feel you need Plan B at any time you must do it within 72 hours.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Best wishes
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:18 pm

User avatar I wouldn't worry too much about one missed pill. The recommendation is that you take it when you remember, even if it means two in one day, You do not need to use a back up method. If you missed two pills sometime in the first two weeks you should resume but take two pills per day for the next two days and use backup contraception for the rest of the cycle, but even then it would not need to be as drastic as Plan B (condom use would be fine).

If you are in the last 7 days of your pill pack and you use traditional pills (not extended cycle) you don't need to worry about missing them since they are sometimes called "sugar pills" and do not contain hormones, allowing you to have a period. But, be sure to start your next pack on time.

There is no way to be 100% sure you will not become pregnant because there is a failure rate even with perfect use (about one in 100 women using the pill will become pregnant and all methods except abstinence have a failure rate). If you do feel you need Plan B at any time you must do it within 72 hours.

Best wishes

|