News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Pap Smear Severe Dysplasia but Biopsy is Normal

Marie55 - Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:10 pm

In Nov-06 I had a pap test done that came back Severe Dysplasia. A few weeks later I had a Biopsy done that came back normal. I went back last month, 8-12-07 for a Re- pap & it came back Severe Dysplasia again so my Doctor wants me to have surgery ( A Cone ) Next month but Im just a little confused why the pap test would say one thing and the Biopsy would say another. I do have some kind of vaginal polyp & Ive been fighting a chronic yeast infection or something, since 04. No one can tell me why I keep having the infections And the medication does work until I have sex again , Oral or otherwise then its back again . Could having such a chronic infection cause the pap smear to be so abnormal and why such a difference in tests?

Thanks so much
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:56 pm

User avatar Hi Marie55,

This is a bit puzzling. My one thought would be that the biopsy happened to be taken from a normal area missing the dysplasia. This seems fairly unlikely since the biopsies are usually targeted to areas suspicious for changes.

Discussing this with your gynecologist is important.

Occasionally, women will have recurring infections due to reinfection from their partner. It may be that your partner needs treated as well. This is less common with yeast infections but can happen. It may also be helpful to eat yogurts,etc. with live bacterial colonies to help repopulate the vaginal tract with the beneficial bacteria that can help keep yeast from growing.

Chronic infection can cause some changes to the surrounding cells. I'm not familiar with this causing changes on a Pap smear. Your gynecologist may be able to give you more information on this.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here