Question: Endometriosis in other organs

marie - Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:54 pm

I found out 2 years ago that I have endometriosis. My gynocologist put me back on birth control pills to regulate this. He told me if this doesn't work that I will have to have hysterectomy. I was told that if I have this done that the endometriosis can come back to other organs of you body, kidneys, bladder, colon,etc. Is this true, can it?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:32 am

User avatar Dear Marie,

Actually, the definition of endometriosis is the presence of endometrial glands and stroma outside the endometrial cavity and uterine musculature. These ectopic endometrial implants are usually located in the pelvis, but can occur nearly anywhere in the body.

You never said anything about the severity of your symptoms and how was endometriosis discovered. Was it discovered accidentally?

i am not certain about the percentage of recurrence after hysterectomy and removal of the ovaries but i think it is very small unless the endometriosis was affecting the bowel to begin with.

i am not a gynecologist so you will have to refer to your gynecologist for more accurate information about this problem.

|