News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Urethral diverticulum and pregnancy

majesticmel - Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:31 pm

Hello, I am a 30 year old female and I am 7 months pregnant with my second child. I have recently been told that I have a urethral diverticulum which has been causing some discomfort (not currently but a few months ago). I have been seeing a urologist for several years for several issues including nocturnal enuresis, overactive bladder, recurrent uti's and so on. I also have a diagnosis of polycystic kidney disease which so far has not been an issue. Since my diagnosis of the urethral diverticulum, I have seen some spotting on the toilet paper only but it only happens occassionally when I cough really hard. I have mentioned this problem not only to my OB, but also to my urologist. My last urine test at the OB office did show some protein and blood in my urine, but they don't seem highly concerned that my baby is affected. They have ordered a 24 hour urine for a creatinine clearance. My urologist has also mentioned that after my baby is born I will have an MRI to get a better look at the diverticulum.
My question is do you think that this problem is being handled properly or should they be more concerned with my baby. I do not have any abdominal discomfort and the baby is still moving around a lot just like she always has.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:45 pm

User avatar I see no reason to worry about your baby (any more than the normal kind of worry parents do) as your doctors are diligent about your care. It sounds like they are using good judgment in my opinion. Getting the MRI after delivery is a good follow up so be sure to do that.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here