Question: Can someone please give me a clear answer?

babygirl18 - Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:07 am

Hello, I am a 21 year old female and I have just started taking the birth control pill Modicon. I have tried contacting several different planned parenthood facilities with my question but they have all given me different answers and I do not know what to do. I wrote here before about this but I think I may have left out some information because my question wasnt really answered. I started my period on Wed. Sept. 19. and I was told when I got the pills that I could start taking them the day I got them or wait until the Sunday after my period, which I thought mean't the first Sunday after my period had stopped. With that said, I was still bleeding on that Sunday Sept 23. so I didn't start taking my pill until Sunday. Sept 30, which was the following Sunday. Like I said before, I have never been on the pill before and I have tried calling several clinics but they have all given me different answers. One said I was fine and to just continue taking my pill and that it would only effect the date of my next period. Another said I needed to wait 2 weeks before having intercourse or use backup during the first 2 weeks. Another said to throw out the pack and start a new one on the first sunday after my next period and the last one said I would have to use backup through my first whole pack. Please help me. I don't know what the right answer is and I want to make sure that I do this right to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and I am very unhappy that all the clinics have been giving me different answers. Thank you in advance
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:11 pm

User avatar I also recommended in your previous post that you use a backup for this first cycle because of starting them late. No point that I can see in throwing anything away - you will be "double covered." But the fact you had an unprotected week could mean ovulation this month - that is why the back up method is recommended for the full pill cycle.

Remember to only take the one week break (green tablets). When you begin the next package of pills, you should be fine to abandon the previously used backup method unless you want to use condoms for other safety reasons such as preventing the spread of sexually transmitted infections.

There's nothing I can do about the conflicting answers you have been given but I do advise, as I did before, that you continue in this way. The pill is a very reliable method of birth control (not perfect) when taken correctly. So, if you start late, cover yourself by using additional protection.

If this is still unclear, perhaps it would be good to schedule an appointment at your family planning clinic or your doctor's office to have some face to face counseling.

If we can further clarify, let us know.

|