News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: IUD question

kate102518 - Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:24 pm

I am a 21 year old female with an IUD. I had my IUD put in while I was in Mexico on vacation. At the time I was not aware that there are 2 diferent kinds of IUDs. I don't know if it is the copper kind, or the one with the hormones. I cannot have the kind with the hormones due to my Factor V Leiden, Would my doctor be able to tell which one I have or will I have to have it removed and replaced? I wonder if I have the one with the hormones becuase I have not menstruated in over 3 months? Any help would be appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:49 pm

User avatar Did they tell you how long to expect this to be good? If they told you it would last up to about 12 years, it is probably not the one with hormones. If they told you it would be good for about 5 years, it is probably the one with the hormones. I am suspecting it is the latter with your lack of periods.

But, the hormone that is implicated here is progesterone and there has not been a proven link to clotting disorders with progesterone only, as there has been with estrogen. I don't believe having Factor V Leiden is a contraindication for using this method of birth control. This is not to say there is no concern, but one has not been shown so far.

I hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here