Question: IUD question

kate102518 - Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:24 pm

I am a 21 year old female with an IUD. I had my IUD put in while I was in Mexico on vacation. At the time I was not aware that there are 2 diferent kinds of IUDs. I don't know if it is the copper kind, or the one with the hormones. I cannot have the kind with the hormones due to my Factor V Leiden, Would my doctor be able to tell which one I have or will I have to have it removed and replaced? I wonder if I have the one with the hormones becuase I have not menstruated in over 3 months? Any help would be appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:49 pm

User avatar Did they tell you how long to expect this to be good? If they told you it would last up to about 12 years, it is probably not the one with hormones. If they told you it would be good for about 5 years, it is probably the one with the hormones. I am suspecting it is the latter with your lack of periods.

But, the hormone that is implicated here is progesterone and there has not been a proven link to clotting disorders with progesterone only, as there has been with estrogen. I don't believe having Factor V Leiden is a contraindication for using this method of birth control. This is not to say there is no concern, but one has not been shown so far.

I hope this helps.

|