Question: Is it too soon for an Ultra Sound? have had 7 miscariages

mslayla - Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:02 pm

First id like to thank you for Reading my important Question..
my lmp was 9/3/07 5 possitive preg tests last one i took 2 days ago was negative but I know im pregnant I have no symptoms any more I had pain in my breasts a week a go i was nausious and very tired.
I have thrombophilia I had to take a blood thinner during all pregnancies. If I go to the clinic by my house today, will they think it is too early to do an ultrasound? my appointmentis on Thursday next week and i am concerned i have hbp as well and endo everytime i have been pregnant im sick i think im about 4 wks 5 days pregnant. I get my period every 26 days the last pt i took was possitve in about 5 seconds then it went negative?? i thought as hormones rise so do pregnancy symptoms?? i know doctors are busy and i don't want to waste there time by all means, its not an ER for emergencys they are equipped with the machines. Thank You
Layla
 ThreePrinces - Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:03 pm

I'm not a doctor, but have experience with this.

First of all, I am so sorry to hear about your losses. I myself have had 4 miscarriages in the midst of 2 years of infertility, and I understand the heartache that comes with such a devastating loss.

Here's the deal: a pregnancy is not able to be seen until the HCG reaches a certain number. I cannot recall exactly what that number is, (I think it's over 2000), but it won't be that for about another week. I can only compare to my IUI baby, and at 18 days past ovulation (so that would be approximately 4 weeks 4 days, somewhere around there), my HCG number was 937. I had a bleeding episode that day and went to the ER. They performed an ultrasound and saw...absolutely NOTHING. There was nothing to be found and the jerk ultrasound tech said to me "You're not pregnant, lady." Oh yes I was....my HCG did not lie. (and that baby is now 3 years old.)

With my second and third children, I had ultrasounds around 5.5 weeks where we could see the fetal pole and yolk sac. Around 6.5 weeks, we saw the heartbeat.

I'm sorry but it's probably just too early to see anything on ultrasound this early. You need to wait another week or so. And believe me, I know how hard that is.

Beat of luck!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:11 am

I know this can be very frustrating, considering your history, but ThreePrinces is correct and you will need to be patient and give this time. Early pregnancy tests can sometimes give false negative results and a too-early ultrasound is also not necessarily diagnostic. There is not much you can do except wait it out. Hopefully you will have a good outcome this time.

When you do see a doctor, I would recommend your regular OB or family practitioner who is best able to follow your pregnancy all the way through.

Best of luck to you.

|