Question: Any possibility AT ALL of pregnancy?

Jill80 - Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Two incidents have got me worried a little.

1) One time we were rubbing against each other, though were both fully clothed, with at least 3-4 layers of clothing between us. I don't know whether he ejaculated or not, but later I got worried because his penis was directly against my vagina. So if he did ejaculate, is there a chance that semen will pass through 3 layers of clothes and get me pregnant?

2) Another time, he'd touched his penis, which had some semen on it, then he wiped it off on his shorts and a couple of minutes later, he rubbed me through my underwear. Could this be dangerous? Should I be worried?

I had my period on 14th last month and this month on 13th, I had a little brownish discharge and on 14th, I had dark brown to red discharge, but only when I used the bathroom. The normal period has not yet started. Should I be worried if I have lighter than usual period this month? Is there any chance at all that I could be pregnant? Please help!!
 ThreePrinces - Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:03 pm

I sincerely doubt it.

I wouldn't worry.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:37 pm

User avatar I agree that the chances of pregnancy are practically nonexistent based on the information you have shared. If there was more that you haven't mentioned, I can't be so confident.

Don't worry about brown fluid discharge, etc. It usually indicates old blood your body is getting rid of. Menstrual fluid contains more than just blood too, so a little clotting, stringy mucus, tissue, etc. can all be normal.

It looks like you may be at risk for sexual intercourse soon so if you haven't considered birth control it would be wise to do that now to protect your future health, that of your unborn future children, and to ensure you only become a mother when you are ready to do that. Infections are also rampant right now so it's a good idea to be prepared with a condom just in case. Plan so you aren't surprised. It will give you peace of mind so you won't be worried with each encounter.

Best wishes
 Jill80 - Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:44 am

Hi, thank you for the reply. Yes, I'd given complete details, leaving nothing out.

Well, I did get my period on 15th finally, but that was it, apparently. I had medium to heavy discharge on 15th, but there was nothing much from the next day, only a little discharge when I used the loo, nothing apart from that. I usually have my period for 3-5 days. This time, it was for just one day. Is that normal? Is there anything I should be concerned about?
 Jill80 - Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:58 am

I googled and found that brownish discharge, followed by a one day long regular period-like bleeding happened in early pregnancy!! Help, I'm really scared now!!!
 ThreePrinces - Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi again,

There are so many different causes for vaginal bleeding. Annovulatory cycles, cysts, etc. It could even be ovulatory spotting.

How many days ago were these near-intercourse encounters? I can help you decide if now would be a good time to take a home pregnancy test simply to ease your mind (since I sincerely, sincerely doubt that pregnancy is anything to worry about.) A pregnancy test is only useful after a certain amount of time has gone by.

Really, based on the info you relayed, the chances of you being pregnant are practically non-existent.
 Jill80 - Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:51 pm

Well, the "risky" encounters happened a month ago. I was on period at that time, but I read being on period cannot be considered a safe period either. Anyway, I was expecting my period on 14th. I started having a little brownish discharge on 13th & 14th, had regular and quite heavy discharge on 15th, and that's it. On 16th, there was red discharge, but only during defecation, nothing apart from that.

I'm currently freaking out because found a lot of sites on google which related "one day long period" to early pregnancy. So I'm scared out of my mind right now!
 ThreePrinces - Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:57 pm

I think I can help you feel better.

I'm not sure how much you know about the menstrual cycle. If you know a lot, then go ahead and don't pay attention to this entire paragraph. =) okay. The first day of bleeding is cycle day 1. Typically bleeding will last about 5 days. Ovulation occurs anywhere between cycle day 11 or so up until very late in the cycle-the average day is day 14.

Sperm can live inside the female tract for up to 5 days. There is typically a 7 day window around ovulation where it is POSSIBLE (but not likely, since it is not likely for sperm to live those 5 days or to conceive after ovulation) to conceive. The egg will only live about 12-24 hours. So it's safe to say there are 7 days where you should either avoid intercourse or use birth control. After ovulation, there is a phase called the Luteal Phase that will last anywhere from 10 to 18 days.

A home pregnancy test will be positive anywhere after around 12 days past ovulation or so.

What I'm trying to say is, if these encounters were a month ago, if you were to take a test now it would be positive if you were pregnant.

The bleeding may be annovulatory bleeding. A woman does not always ovulate during her cycle. This causes stress for her because she worries about pregnancy when her period doesn't come "on time." A period that is "late" is really kind of a myth....ovulation days can vary in the same woman from cycle to cycle. I know that I have had ovulations anywhere from cycle day 12 to cycle day 100+. Sometimes it just happens. And when you're under stress, as you are right now, it is even more likely to occur.

"Breakthrough bleeding" like you just had is very common during annovulatory cycles.

I'm sure that was long winded. I'm not a doctor, I've just spent many years in the throws of infertility and I know menstrual cycles very very well. =)

My advice is to take a pregnancy test. If these encounters were a month ago, IF you were pregnant it would be positive by now. No matter what, it will put your mind at ease.
 Jill80 - Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:45 am

Hi, thank you for taking time for giving that explanation. Yes, I did have general idea of menstrual cycle and ovulation, got to know some more details from you. So that was very helpful.

I remembered another event during the same time last month that I thought might be risky. I'd touched his penis, but I didn't touch myself soon after that. I did, but only after half an hour may be, while cleaning up. So I guess if there was anything on my hand, even after so long time, that'd have been washed away with chlorinated water, right?

My boyfriend has also been trying to convince me that nothing can happen, and even I honestly can't understand how what we did could get me pregnant, but the fact that I had just a day long period and now it's fading again and also a little bit of nauseousness (in the morning, after meals) got me worried. There was also a little bit of lightheaded-ness (I think that's what it was - I felt like I would lose balance at random times during the day), which I associated with stress and emotional disturbance (some problems in the family) which left me drowned in tears for a couple of days, the time when I was expecting my period.

I can't explain the nausea though!

May be I will buy a pregnancy test kit, just to make sure. Hopefully nothing is wrong!

Thanks again for all the information! I really appreciate it.

One question I have, we can't possibly ovulate during periods or just before or just after period, can we? There's at least a few days' difference between ovulation and menstruation, right?
 ThreePrinces - Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:13 am

You *can* ovulate during your pregnancy or just after, yes.

As for your other "incident" with washing your hand, again that is very doubtful that you got any sperm up there.

All of the nausea, light headedness, etc may very well be from the stress of worrying that you are pregnant. Same with the funky period.

Please take a pregnancy test and let us know what the outcome is!

Be sure to be more careful in the future. Although you did not have much of a chance of getting pregnant with the "incidents", it sure got you worried didn't it. =) I suggest seeing your doctor getting some birth control pills, just to help you not worry so much.
 ThreePrinces - Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:14 am

oops I made a major type-o.

I meant to say you *can* ovulate during your PERIOD (not pregnancy.) Sorry!!
 Jill80 - Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:19 am

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes, I'll be getting that test kits in a few days. I've never used one, so I wanted to know, do we test the first morning urine or anytime urine is ok? And how reliable is a home pregnancy test? Or should I go for blood test? I actually don't want my parents to find out anything about this. So if I go for blood test, do I need to provide personal information and stuff?
 ThreePrinces - Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:55 am

A blood test at your doctor's office will be billed to your insurance and if you're on the parents' insurance, they may very well find out. And since it is called a "quantitative HCG" or "qualitative HCG", if your parents know that HCG is the pregnancy hormone, then they would know what it was.

You can always get a test at Planned Parenthood, however I don't know if they do blood tests or not.

But really, the home pregnancy tests that you buy at the store are very sensitive and accurate. Especially given the fact that your incidents were a month ago and if you conceived then, you would be about 6 weeks along by now.

There are certain brands that are more sensitive than others. I have certain brands that I like better than others.

This website has a great table showing the sensitivity of home pregnancy tests:

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hpt.html

Tests measuring the lowest mIU are going to be the most sensitive. I advise you to steer clear of the ones from the Dollar Store though, despite the fact that they are listed on that website. Those tests are notorious for "evaporation lines", or false positives.

When performing a home pregnancy test, be certain to follow the directions and read the test after the time frame and not any later. Many tests will get an evaporation line after they have sat for an hour or two and make it look positive when it really is not.

Good luck and be sure to update
 Jill80 - Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:14 am

Hi, I bought a couple of different HPT kits. I was looking for Clearview, but it couldn't find it (I live in Asia). So I bought a Ranbaxy one and a Cipla one. I took the test today (after containing urine for more than 7-8 hours, I think) and checked after 10 minutes and it was negative. Should I check again? Are Cipla and Ranbaxy kits reliable and accurate? Or am I just being paranoid? Can an HPT ever show false negative?
 Jill80 - Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 pm

If it makes any difference, the names of the HPT Kits (the ones which come with a dropper) I bought are -

1) PregTest card by Cipla
2) Analytica card by Ranbaxy

None of the packs have that mIU thing listed on it.

Also, these kits are use and throw type, right?
 ThreePrinces - Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi there,

I've been anxiously awaiting an update for you.

You *can* get false negatives, if the test is done too early. But considering how long ago your close encounters were, I'm certain this is a true negative and you are NOT pregnant.

I think you can breathe a sigh of relief! And be sure to be more careful from now on! Your chance of pregnancy was very very low, but it certainly scared you and you don't need to put yourself through that again!

Don't read the test after 10 minutes. Something called an "evaporation line" can appear, making it seem positive when it really is not. If no line appeared within the allotted time (usually under 10 minutes), then you are not pregnant.
 Jill80 - Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:03 am

Hi, just wanted to inform about the results of the tests. Took two HPTs, which came out negative. But I've been feeling extremely nauseous in the morning since last two days; I nearly threw up and it freaked me out because I couldn't find any reason for it. So I went and got a blood test done and that also came back negative (hcg level was 2 and the report said 0-5 is negative). So right now, I'm pretty much relieved; will need to go the doctor though to see what's the reason for this nauseousness and the one-day-long period. Thank you ThreePrinces for helping me out, I really appreciate it! Thanks a ton!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:36 am

User avatar There are many brands out there and they all seem to work quite well but with each there can be a false negative so if you are in doubt, repeat the test in one week. Yes, the tests are intended for single use.
 Jill80 - Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:07 am

Hi, it's me again. Well, I had 2 negative Home Pregnancy Tests and a negative beta hcg test. I had my period a couple of days before the due date this month, but that's not new for me. The thing is, since past couple of months, I've been having pinkish-brownish discharge some days prior the beginning of the period, before the actual bleeding starts. I can't even say discharge, because it merely stains the underwear a little, nothing more. Last month, similar thing happened and the actual bleeding happened just one day, which freaked me out and I kept thinking I'm pregnant, although chances seemed virtually nil. This month, I had moderate bleeding for the first day, then a little heavy on second and not much on third. The thing that's worrying me the most is I'm feeling sick a lot since past two months, in the morning when I wake up, or after meals etc. I doubt it could be a pregnancy symptom, but can anyone tell me what else could be causing it? I'm scared to go to my family doc, worried that she might tell me that I'm pregnant or something. I might take another blood test, but I was hoping to get some help here, because this site has been very helpful for me so far.

1) nauseous, especially in the morning and after meals
2) also, stomach seems a little protruding on the left side only, I have no clue why
3) had mild pain/cramps (can't exactly tell) on the left side of the stomach on second day of period; this is not normal for me because I hardly have any stomach pains before or during periods
4) slight dizziness once in a while

What could cause all this? Also, I have a question regarding hcg levels. hcg is produced in pregnant women, then why 0-5 hcg is considered normal in men and non-pregnant women? Do people normally have a 0-5 level of hcg in body without being pregnant? I really appreciate your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:48 pm

User avatar HcG levels rise rapidly with pregnancy and a low level is present in non-pregnant people. Just the presence alone of this hormone does not indicate pregnancy. The discharge you have noticed would not be considered alarming at all and is probably normal.

As for your symptoms, you could have some type of bowel problem, irritable bowel syndrome, blockage, etc. so it would be good to see a doctor.

Good luck

|