Question: menopausal bleeding and cramps

sierra - Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:13 pm

Good Afternoon,

I am now 49 and was diagnosed as menopausal at 49.I have been on FEMHRT since the diagnosis. I had a cone bipsy in '85 and have had no problems since. (Thank Goodness!) I never had children.

In the last month or so I have felt a general sense of no energy, achy, almost flu-ish and have spotted both times. The first time it went away and I felt better. I had chills last night...today I feel bad, no energy, foggy-thinking and the spotting has been there for the last few days. I appreciate your thoughts. I am afraid my doctor is going to prescribe more HRT and I am very leary of that since I have already been on FEHRT 5 years.

I am taking FEMHRT,nexium, synthroid and xanax.

thanks so much for your help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:08 pm

I certainly understand your frustration. Unfortunately these vague symptoms could be related to a variety of possible causes.

Your thyroid function would be one area to explore to be sure your levels are where they should be. The thyroid can affect so many different systems in your body, this is a real possibility.

In addition, people do have adverse side effects relating to hormone therapy for menopausal symptoms. Depending on the type of symptoms you have, this may not be worth the effects, if indeed it is the cause. Spotting does sometimes happen with the hormone therapy so I would not be alarmed about that. Probably the only way to know is to go without the hormones for a time and see if the symptoms resolve. You should discuss these symptoms with your doctor.

The other possibility is some kind of infection. Again, you would need to see your health care provider to determine this.

|