News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: 5 weeks pregnant

firstlady125 - Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:46 pm

i went to the doctor today 10/20/07 and they said i am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant. But then she said my conception date was 9/22. THis does not add up. Please help me find my conception date.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:37 am

User avatar This is very confusing to everyone so don't feel badly.

Pregnancy is counted in weeks from the last period; not from the actual conception date. We don't really know what day you conceived but when the doctor gives you this conception date it is likely based on the assumption you conceived around day 14 of your cycle. That means when you count weeks (starting at the period onset - the only real date we have) you actually get a "freebie" of about two weeks. In other words you are counted as having completed two weeks before you even conceived. That's just the way it's done. Logical perhaps from the need for a beginning date to count from, but confusing as to weeks' gestation.

I hope this makes sense.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:57 am

User avatar Hi,
You started a new post but it actually belonged here because it is still the same topic. You said:

"thanks for your reply. I can not use my last period b/c I don't know when that was. now I am 5 weeks and I don't know when I conceived"

Since your doctor said it was 9/22, I would suggest she probably has established this date based on some criteria. Since she knows your personal case better than we do, I would use that date and assume it is as correct as anyone can guess based on your history
 firstlady125 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:15 pm

but if i use the 22nd date, that would not make me 5 weeks. that's only 4. she said i was 5 weeks and 4 days
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:09 pm

User avatar I can't say what she was going by but since she has actually seen you, I would ask her to explain it in greater depth.
 ARMYGIRL - Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:19 am

don't STRESS ABOUT IT TO MUCH WHEN U GET UR FIRST ULTRA SOUND THEYLL TELL U HOW MANY WEEKS YOU ACTUALLY ARE AND U SHOULD BE ABLE TO DETERMINE FROM THAT WHEN U CONCIEVED

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here