News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Uterus Removal

qwertygirl - Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:30 am

I should have never found this forum! This is my second post - anymore and you all should start billing me! :o)

After my first child in 1987 (long difficult labor - 2.5 hour forcept delivery) I had trouble with incontinence.
At the 6 week appointment I discussed this with my GP. He suggested a reconstruction and suspension of my uterus and bladder but advised I don't get pregnant again. I knew I would want another child so I opted out of the operation.

As the years passed, the problem came and went.

In 1992 I was pregnant with my second, carried him low -first I had previa and in the end he was breach and delivered via C-Section.

I have not spoken to my GP about this issue since then and do have a new GP after relocation.

I still battle with incontinence - some weeks worse than others. I know that my uterus is low - I have had to cease using tampons due to difficult insertion and if inserted they quickly squeak out. I fear that someday soon I will have to buy a Radio Flyer Wagon to haul my uterus around with me. I have had several Stage 2 PAP's since my first was born but have been fairly normal in the past 14 years.

Since I am 40 now, would it be better to have the uterus removed rather than reconstructed? If I suggested that would it be considered elective? Would this be something I could request? I also sometimes wonder if a disc issue I had in 2003 has something to do with the incontinence as well. I don't often have a sensation but upon standing, it comes. Or by the time I get the sensation I have only seconds to get to the restroom. God forbid I should cough or sneeze. I have been doing the strengthening exercises for 20 years to no avail.

I suppose I am thinking about it more now as I have a non-weight bearing cast for a broken foot and my restroom is upstairs from my office/bedroom. I can barely make it there in time. I have to go on schedule even if I don't have the sensation. Sometimes even standing I don't have any sensation and then bam and I have to speed like a race horse on my roll-a-about to make it in time. Thank goodness I don't need the Radio Flyer right now. :o)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:28 am

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like you are coping with these frustrating symptoms pretty well, all things considered. And you are able to keep a sense of humor besides. This ability can keep you sane!

I would think that a hysterectomy would be medically indicated if your doctor finds it to be prolapsing. As you said, given your age and no longer desiring children there is little reason to keep it intact since it is decreasing your quality of life. It sounds like something that would be approved but I have now way of knowing for sure. Tell the doctor your desire, should it be possible to get an appropriate diagnosis for it. He/she may try to help you preserve it if that is your goal. Either surgery is likely to help but the suspension has varying results. Can you get a referral to an OB/GYN to check this out?

Perhaps some of your other issues will resolve with this procedure as well. Be sure your doctor knows the full extent of how this is affecting your activities of daily living.

Good luck.
 qwertygirl - Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:27 pm

Thank you Ms. Miller for the response and your time.

That helps a lot. I just don't want to sound odd if I were to suggest it to the doctor. I also would think a removal would be less obtrusive to everyday life over the suspension, etc.; however, I couldn't know that for sure.

Since I just turned 40 I am due for all sorts of lovely tests. My current insurance doesn't require referrals although I think I will still see my GP first. I can discuss this with her and see what she thinks. A previous co-workers wife had hers removed and they left the ovaries in. If that is a possibility, I would be interested. Now the question is....can I get a tummy tuck with it? *joking*

Thanks again!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:19 pm

User avatar Hi again,
Yes, you can keep your ovaries, thus maintaining your hormone production until natural menopause. This is assuming there is no disease associated with them. This should be your choice otherwise.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here