Question: Blisters Following Shaving

sugarbaby2007 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:31 pm

I am a 30 yr old female. I had a small lump on my inner thigh/leg area for a couple years. I never looked into receiving treatment of any kind for it as it caused no issues. Then I shaved one day (which I had done many times before) and had a horrible break out, causing small blisters over my labia majora, which I then scratched, and I believe made my case quite a bit worse. The lump that had previously caused no issues, suddenly became inflamed and filled with pus. At that time, I went to a General Practioner because i couldn't immediately get into my GYN and I had also recently engaged in sexual intercourse, hence the shaving. He said it looked to him to be Herpes. At that time, he ran a culture on it as it was filled with pus and inflamed and painful and at the height of it's infection. The culture came back negative but it was explained to me my him that it may have been a false negative. A week later while still healing, I went to my GYN and she told me she was most positive that it was not Herpes, but still ran a blood test, which also came back negative. That all took place over a year ago, since that time I had not incountered any sexual occurences until 2 wks ago. Before having sex I again shaved (I had not shaved since the prior incident over a yr ago) and the same thing happened only far less intense, as the first time I scratched the area profusely. During the healing process I first used ice on the area and then used alcohol on it which seemed to clear it rather quickly (over a period of a few days) Could this be folliculitis or still a chance of Herpes? Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:15 am

User avatar It sounds like sensitivity that is aggravated by shaving. The best solution would be to avoid the activity that is causing the irritation. If things clear up like they did before, that pretty much confirms the problem and I would not continue to worry about herpes since the doctor has evaluated for this already with successive negative testing.

If you insist on shaving, you should see a dermatologist about this to see if there's something to be done to minimize the problem.

Best regards

|