Question: Taking Clomid even if not confirmed PCOS.

adieu2k - Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Presently, I am 26 years old female and I always have had normal periods (yeah every 28 to 32 days or so) through out my life. I started with birth control pills when I was 24 and continued them for about 2 years. Thereafter I decided to conceive and I stopped the pills in May 2007 and had usual periods (in May and June 2007). After that I didn’t had periods for 2 months and consulted my gynecologist. On taking medication (10 tablets of Duphaston) as advised by my Gynecologist and I had my (forced) periods in September. Later on, my gynecologists told me that I “might” have PCOS. Though she could never convince me thoroughly but yet advised me to have Clomid if I want to conceive.

I don’t feel convinced of PCOS diagnosis because I have learnt that person having PCOS must always have irregular periods from very beginning. But since I always had regular periods, I actually am confused so as to take clomid for conceiving or NOT! (Because I read somewhere that if your ovulation is normal and you still take Clomid, it actually might work otherwise and create complications in getting pregnant)

Based on above description of my situation, my other questions are as below:

1. Can my current irregular or delayed period cycle be due to birth control pills (Marvelon) that I took for about 2 years?

2. If (as per my belief) my ovulation is normal (as I have had regular periods before) but still following the advise of my gynecologist I take clomid, what are the disadvantages or side effects in getting pregnant or impacts clomid may have on my future pregnancies?

3. My gynecologist told me that people who are diagnosed with PCOS “must” always have irregular periods even in past. My query is: What are the chances of having PCOS even if one had regular periods (my case) through out life?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:04 pm

User avatar Polycystic ovary syndrome is a complex “metabolic disorder” which is not well udnerstood. There are numerous factors in basic body processes that have gone awry. By this definition it would seem to me that the syndrome could develop at any time; not necessarily from the onset of menses. The causes are multiple and varied but one theory is environmental chemical pollution and of course this could accumulate and cause symptoms at any point in time. The same with hormonal imbalances - they could also appear at any time.

A syndrome means a group of symptoms that tend to occur together and PCOS involves many body processes; not just your period. It can manifest itself differently in different people. You could have one aspect of it without having all the symptoms.

Your doctor knows your situation better than I do but it would seem to me that you may want to get a second opinion. It is a good idea whenever you are still worried about something after seeing your doctor and most physicians welcome these.

As for clomid - your greatest side effect is that you could conceive multiples. With twins or greater, your pregnancy risks go up exponentially. Preterm birth is the most significant problem and that leads to seriously ill, very small babies - sometimes with long-term consequences of their early birth, if they survive. Preterm labor and delivery is more common with mulitples. There is the option of selective reduction but many people have a hard time doing this when they are so anxious to have a family.

Some women who are treated for PCOS with Glucophage (Metformin and others) find they are able to become pregnant without the aid of fertility drugs such as clomid. I have seen this happen in several cases. They were about to go on the clomid after beginning a regimen of one of these antihyperglycemic drugs. They were surpised to find themselves pregnant before even beginning the clomid.

So, it might be worth while to find out if you truly might have PCOS and if there are treatments you could try first.

I am also familiar with people who, after conceiving their first child with clomid, went on to have others unassisted, as if the body then was able to function on its own. Others have needed fertility treatment each time so you can see this is a very individualized concern.

I am not aware of clomid having an adverse effect on future pregnancies but I am not an expert here. I also am doubtful that your use of birth control pills in the past has had bearing on your current problems. Again, each person is different, but oral contraceptives are often prescribed to regulate periods because that would be the more commons effect.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

|