Question: Can you become pregnant with an IUD and still have a period?

mommy619 - Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:35 am

I swear I am having the same symptoms as with my other 2 pregnancies. The only thing that has changed is that I have an IUD that has been in place for a year and I had a period last week. Is it possible to be pregnant with an IUD and still have a period?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:07 pm

User avatar The combination of the IUD (assuming it is still in place) and the period would make it highly unlikely you would be pregnant. It is possible of course, especially if your period was a bit lighter than usual, but I wouldn't place any bets on it happening.

You can do a home pregnancy test. These are most accurate about a week after the missed period. In this case, if you are pregnant, you would be assuming the period was implantation bleeding so you would date back to the previous period and test from five weeks after that one.

|