Question: Levaquin and Sprintec (ortho thricyclen)

scooby6zz - Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:27 pm

I am on Sprintec and recently took the antibiotic Levaquin is there a decresed effectiveness with this antibiotic? How long should I wait to have sex after completing taking this antibiotic? I did have sex already. I was on the last day of my pilll pack for the active pills and was off the antibiotic for two days when I started to have intercourse. Is this okay?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:04 am

User avatar I find no evidence of problems with taking these medications together. It is now believed that in most cases the concern about antibiotics and birth control pills is overstated. Except in the case of Rifampin (not used very often except in tuberculosis), no large studies have proved such an effect with oral contraceptives and antibiotics. There is still some question about whether the newer, extremely low-dose birth control pills might be more susceptible this way. And, of course there could be a small percentage of women who have this kind of problem. We are all very individualized and there are lots of theoretical risks.

The thing that is most likely to cause you to become pregnant while on the pill would be missing days and not taking them as prescribed.

Best regards

|