News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Regular vaginal bump before period.

happygoluckysr2004 - Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:39 am

Hi, I am a 21 YO female. I have noticed for the past few months that just before my period (3-4days) I get a bump on the lower outside of my vaginal lips. Most of the time its just one bump on one side. Last month it was on the left side and this month on the right. its very painful to touch and becomes increasing discomfortable. Is this a normal menstrual symptom? It normally goes away a few days after my period. I just received a normal pap less than a month ago. It took me a while but i finally linked the bump to my menstruation cycle thats the only time i get them. Eventually the bump goes away but due to the rubbing from my underwear and clothing they get really iritated 1st. And am have been sexually active with my husband only for the past 5 years. Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:44 pm

User avatar I would guess this is some type of cyst or infected follicle. I don't believe it is anything serious and I can't imagine why your period would be causing it or be connected. Perhaps this is coincidental. So, it's not a normal condition with menstruation but is probably nothing to worry about too much (beyond the obvious discomfort). If it continues, it might be good to have a doctor see it at the time it is active since it comes and goes.

You certainly don't seem to be at risk for sexually transmitted infections but herpes is always a possibility. It does have the characteristic of variable outbreaks - not known to be associated with your period, however. If your doctor is able to see it when active, a lab test could be performed to verify.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here