News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Beta HCG levels not doubling

wanda91 - Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:20 am

I am 38 years old (female). I had a complete thyroidectomy in 1997 due to thyroid cancer. i have been cancer-free since then. I take 150 mcg Synthroid, and 100mg Zoloft daily.
Last year, I underwent laproscopy for endometriosis and fibroid tumors. I have been having regular menstrual cycles since then.
My mother had two successful pregnancies, and two unsuccessful due to placenta previa.
I got pregnant the first month of trying to conceive.
My pregnancy was confirmed by my dr. at 16DPO, my beta level was 300. She saw 2 sacs on early ultrasound.
Yesterday marked two more weeks, she saw one sac, and my beta level was only 450. dr. said even though ultrasound looks ok, this is a very bad sign and the pregnancy is probably not viable...
However, she said that my progesterone levels are very high...?
I will go back for another beta and ultrasound in a few days.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm sorry to say I agree that this is not a good sign for a viable pregnancy. But, it doesn't mean that next time won't go well so don't be discouraged. I'm glad to know your progesterone levels are good. That is encouraging for your general reproductive health for future efforts. Miscarriage is a very common outcome and few women complete their childbearing years without experiencing at least one. It is disappointing, frustrating and very depressing for some women so watch for signs that you might need some counseling.

Best of luck
Debbie

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here