Question: Brown/redish discharge

Sofia - Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:10 am

Hi, my name is Sofia, and I am 19 years old. I have never had a problem with my period, but since September I haven't had my period instead I have experience brownish/redish discharge. The discharge is on and off. It doesn't occur only once a month. I am not sexually active (virgin). In August I went to my dentist and since then my periods haven't been normal. I am worried that maybe I caught something in the dentist's office like maybe STDs or any other type of desease because my gums were bleeding. I have also been in a little bit of stress but I am always stressed out so it is not as if my body hasn't experienced it before. I set a meeting with the nurse in my University but I don't get to see her until the 11th of December and I really need someone to give me some ideas of whats going on with me.

Thank You,
Sofia
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:16 pm

User avatar Hi Sofia,
I think you can be confident that you did not contract a sexually transmitted infection at the dental office. The cause of your gums bleeding should be investigated but it is not related to your periods unless you have some kind of systemic condition that has affected hormones throughout the body.

Stress can result in absence of periods, even if it doesn't seem worse than usual. Many women have times of period irregularity and it is considered normal. However, if it goes on for a prolonged period and you aren't on medications that might make cause this, you should have it checked out so I am glad you are going into the clinic on the 11th.

Best wishes

|