News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Prengnacy questions

Catherine Fergerson - Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:14 pm

I am currently 7 weeks 3 days pregnant. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 2 days and one done in my dr. office today. We saw the baby, and she is fine with a heartbeat of 138. My question is, though we have only seen one baby so far, my progesterone levels at 6 weeks were 228. Looking at the lab work it says normal for 1st trimester is 4.73-50 ng/ml and for the second: 19.41-45.30 ng/ml. I don't seem to fit into either category here with a 228. Could this mean more than one baby, and would they have been able to locate it on a ultrasound yet? Could there possibly be more hiding? My last hcg level was checked at 6 weeks 1 day as well it was 17,452.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:37 pm

User avatar Progesterone and hcg levels vary greatly and should not be relied upon for much except to help to verify pregnancy in the case of bleeding or suspected miscarriage. They are just two parts of a very complex picture that make up a healthy pregnancy and while an increase can occur relating to multiples, this would not be a reliable way to determine this. The chances of missing a second baby would be quite slim, especially where you were able to get a good, strong, visible heartbeat. Anything is possible but there are many reasons for progesterone fluctuation so don't start buying double yet.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and best wishes.
 Catherine Fergerson - Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:59 pm

Can this lead to extreme exhaustion? I am sleeping close to 14-16 hours a day.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here