News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Ventolin and pregnancy

Ree - Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:40 pm

I am a 35 year old female who is asthmatic. It is usually under control and I stopped taking my preventer medication as I was trying to conceive. I have recently found out I'm pregnant (3 home pregnancy tests were positive) - 4 weeks only. I am in a snow filled area and my chest gets "tight" but I am worried about using my ventolin. I also have a "virus/cold" (Swollen lymph node, headaches, muscle aches, sinus problems, sore throat and cough - fo about 1 week). I haven't been taking any medications (besides pre-natal vitamins) except the occassional paracetamol. This is my first pregnancy. Because of my age I may already have some problems but I don't want to hurt the baby by taking ventolin. Is it safe to use this during pregnancy?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:05 pm

User avatar Hello,

I am so glad to see you are taking your prenatal vitamins. I can understand your concern about your medications. Most women with asthma have perfectly normal, healthy babies, but we know that uncontrolled asthma can result in too little oxygen getting to the baby, increasing the risk for low birthweight and other problems. Uncontrolled asthma can also increase your risk for pregnancy complications such as pre-eclampsia and hyperemesis (too much vomiting).

These are much greater threats than the unknown potential risk to the baby by using your medication to remain in control. We have not seen documented association of increased birth defects in babies whose mothers have used their asthma medications but since we don't do studies on pregnant women we do not have the kind of controlled studies that can show definite safety. For this reason the manufacturers do not make claims to that effect. Talk to your doctor about this but the evidence does suggest it is important to be well-ventilated and if that means using your medication, this is the risk/benefit ratio we are looking for.

Your age does not increase your risk greatly. There is nothing magical that happens to a woman's body at precisely age 35 so don't worry too much. It is true that having your first baby now slightly increases some risks but most women your age deliver perfectly healthy babies and it is becoming much more common than it was in the past besides. Taking care of yourself is your best assurance for a healthy pregnancy. Good luck with the virus and let us know if you have other concerns.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here