Question: Ruptured ovarian cyst?

christie321 - Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:46 pm

My sister was taken to the ER last night with nausea, vomiting and lower right quadrant abdominal pain. The ER docs thought this was a classic presentation of appendicitis, especially since there is a significant family history, but tests for that came back negative. After ruling that out, they did a vaginal ultrasound and found a 1.2cm ovarian cyst that was described in the radiology report as being either hemorrhagic, proteinaceous or dermoid. After doing a bit of internet research, it seems her symptoms seem to fit that of someone with a hemorrhagic cyst that has ruptured.

My sister is still in the hospital waiting for doctors and test results and is, understandably, quite anxious. Would her symptoms be consistent with someone with a ruptured ovarian cyst? If so, what should the next step be?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:49 pm

User avatar When an ovarian cyst ruptures, there is sharp, piercing pain, particularly in the lower abdomin. There may have also been pain prior to rupture, but not necessarily. When the rupture occurs, the pain increases and it can be even a slow escalation of pain when it ruptures.

Following the rupture, it is common for the abdomen to be distended and for it to be tender. It can also be associated with hemorrhage. Sometimes a patient may also experience anemia, resulting from blood loss and internal bleeding, which can be serious and require surgery. Sometimes the body reabsorbs the blood and surgery is bypassed. If surgery is required, her recovery will depend on the procedure used and will be similar to other surgery healing processes. The risks of surgery are also there of course but if she is in good health, a non-smoker without other complications, I would not expect an adverse outcome. Fortunately we live in a day of good procedures and antibiotics to reduce infections.

Other, more generalized symptoms which may be associated include fever and nausea or vomiting.

I can't say what course will be needed in your sister's case but I'm glad she is in treatment and I wish you and her the best. I hope this answers your questions.
 christie321 - Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:18 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. Her doctor finally came in to see her and they are now leaning more toward gastroenteritis. Apparently the cyst is something they are not worrying about. Having had food poisoning myself, I don't recall the pain being in the lower right quadrant, but more diffuse and centralized. Could gastroenteritis pain be specifically in the lower right quadrant? Do you think they should explore the ruptured cyst possibility further?

Thanks again for your time.

|